DID X Ring Installation

3 replies to this topic
  • Island Boy

Posted November 13, 2007 - 06:31 AM

I installed a DID X Ring chain last night. I used a tusk press tool, lubed the master link, ran the bike and and everything seems fine.

The only problem is: after installation I noticed that the master link seems stiffer than the other links. Did i press the link too much? Will the stiffness work itself out? If this has happened to anyone please let me know the end result... I am stressing out over this. Thanks.

• beezer

Posted November 13, 2007 - 06:42 AM

You pressed the link to tight I think.

A BFH is all that's needed to fix it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Island Boy

Posted November 13, 2007 - 07:34 AM

thanks, that really helps... How's a Big F'in Hammer supposed to fix it???

• matt4x4

Posted November 13, 2007 - 08:17 AM

Sitting beside the left side of the bike, looking at the chain, the master link should have been installed from the backside of the chain.
If you whack the 2 posts of the master link on the front side simultaneously (might want to hold a stepped block on the backside) using the BFH, you will hammer the master back out (apart) from the plate until the retaining clip sits tight against the outer plate - right now, there's a minute space (not visible unless you have a microscope).

Many people will just whack it while it's sitting on the rear sprocket to provide the rigidity, I don't agree with that though so I recommend a block.

By stepped block, I mean a piece of wood that will "skip" putting pressure back of the master only - you can just slice out a small section of wood the width of the master link with an exacto knife.

Or you can just ride the bike and after a few hours it'll probably seat itself to where it wants to be.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.