Throttle tight??

6 replies to this topic
  • Sycamore

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:53 PM

Hey got a new 2007 that I immediately removed the carb and sent it to ZipTy Racing for the kit that suppose to stop the bonk off idle that 4 strokes have..I'm new to them.

Got it back put it in..what a nightmare!! Put the bike together run it around to brake it in and come home sit on the bike twist the throttle and do a couple of broom brooms and it feels a ok to a point and then the pull is hard.

I took off the tank played with the cables still the same thing. I give up for the night and go back and it still is doing the same them then low and behold it's fine??

I go on a long trip and it does it again. Come back check the cables..good. I call Zipty and they say it's binding in the cables.

I check everything again, this time tear it apart since I have to change the jetting anyway and can't find anything and the cables are as free as OJ used to be.

Put is together still good, go for a short ride...the same thing. Check the cables again and their fine...go back the next day twist the throttle again and the first few twists it still feels tight them all of a sudden it's nice and easy..what gives??

Is this a cable issue or a normal carb thing?

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:17 PM

Something doesn't sound right, idk what to say to fix your problem.

But i never twist my throttle with the engine off, no more than twice to cold start it. Our carburetors have an accelerator pump. Every time you twist, you empty this little chamber of fuel from the bottom of the carb into the engine. Twist it alot, and you will puddle the intake with fuel, and wash down your cylinder walls into your oil. You can twist the throttle alot, so fast that if the carb was in your hand, it would look like a toy squirt gun shooting water 5-10ft.

• tweav

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:15 PM

my cables were a bit tight when I put the carb back on my 07 .I ended up taking the cables and throttle tube off completly .then I rerouted in as straight of a line as possable . this made that issue go away for me

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sycamore

Posted November 13, 2007 - 04:13 PM

Something doesn't sound right, idk what to say to fix your problem.

But i never twist my throttle with the engine off, no more than twice to cold start it. Our carburetors have an accelerator pump. Every time you twist, you empty this little chamber of fuel from the bottom of the carb into the engine. Twist it alot, and you will puddle the intake with fuel, and wash down your cylinder walls into your oil. You can twist the throttle alot, so fast that if the carb was in your hand, it would look like a toy squirt gun shooting water 5-10ft.

Not sure what your sayin..is this normal or don't do it..kind of like when you go to the doctor and tell him it hurts when I do this..Doctors says...well don't do that!! :thumbsup:

• jbrooks26

Posted November 13, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Check that your throttle housing is tight on the bar. ALso be sure that the end of the throttle tube is not contacting the end of the bars on the inside. When it gets tight, does it stick in one place or does it just feel a little tighter and return like it should? It could be a broken spring in the throttle. Hope this helps, let us know what you find.

Josh

• SXP

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:36 PM

Check that your throttle housing is tight on the bar. ALso be sure that the end of the throttle tube is not contacting the end of the bars on the inside. When it gets tight, does it stick in one place or does it just feel a little tighter and return like it should? It could be a broken spring in the throttle. Hope this helps, let us know what you find.

Josh

Also, make sure the boot thingy that slides over the throttle housing isn't interfering with the twist grip. Fold it back and check to see if it make any difference in the throttle snap.

BTW, what do you think of the throttle response after the Zip-Ty mod? Worth it?

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 13, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Not sure what your sayin..is this normal or don't do it..kind of like when you go to the doctor and tell him it hurts when I do this..Doctors says...well don't do that!! :thumbsup:

Don't twist the throttle with the engine off (anymore than you actually must to get it started), you will be squirting fuel into the engine that is unnecessary.

I had real bad throttle response when i bought my used wr450. I worked with the parts that are there and have an excellent response now. You don't need to buy anything, unless you want to rejet, maybe replace the accelerator pump diaghram and possibly a couple of o-rings. It's all in the getting the linkage to the AP to do its job of squirting like a supersoaker. I tweaked a spring on the linkage, and i also ground the rivot thinner on the APD.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.