2008 Yamaha 450 Frame

31 replies to this topic
  • bzackrie

Posted November 20, 2007 - 05:23 AM

so you guys think the 07 with 24mm clamps fixes alot of the front end push on the 07??

• Ga426owner

Posted November 20, 2007 - 05:58 AM

It depends on your riding style and ability....it definetly helps......
or just buy an 08:excuseme:

• adamdf

Posted November 20, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I Think you want to go red :thumbsup: :ride: I have spent some time on the 08 crf and ummm I wouldnt trade mine for it for nothing. Remeber my best friend owns a Honda dealership I see the horror. Get ya some valves stainless ones along with it if u do go red. My bike is so much smoother than 08 Honda its sick. 250f I would go red I do like that however, valves still suck but i can get all that bs done free

To be honest Matt, i'm still undecided as to what i'm going with. I have to admit i was leaning to the Red side recently though. But i still may end up with a Yami, i will hopefully know by next week, as i expect ot have my current bike sold and a new one on order by then.

• bzackrie

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Yea, im in the same ordeal except I am stuck between a 06 or 07 450 Yamaha or 06 or 07 450 Kawasaki. The Kawi handles good (right?) but Im a Yamaha fan but willing to make a switch. Help me make a decision. Oh and another question, is fifth gear on a 450 truly necessary?

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:35 AM

Y The Kawi handles good (right?) ... is fifth gear on a 450 truly necessary?

Having owned both, the 5 speed does make the bike more versatile. The 4 speed on the YZ450 was laid out beautifully as far as ratio spacing was concerned, but I can't say the same about the Kaw. The ratio spacing just seems weird. Two gears will be close together and the next one there's a big gap. Didn't like it.

"They" say that the '06 pushes the front a lot. Mine does a little more than I'd like, but when I move up on it, it stops. My son has no idea what "they" are talking about. Once at a local track he was being slowly chased down by a more experienced rider working hard to reel him in on a KXF450. He ran through a soft left hander turning up a hill like always. The Kawasaki guy lost the front end and crashed. Go figure.

The late YZ450's are very sensitive to setup and rider position. If they suit you, or you can adapt a little, they work very, very well.

• bzackrie

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:43 AM

you are talking 06 yz450f pushing alot correct? and do you think the kawi gear spacing could be corrected by changing the sprockets? and you think the 06 and 07 have a little handling issue too?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:54 AM

No, changing sprockets won't help because it doesn't change the transmission ratios.

Some people think the '06/7 YZ450 pushes the front. My son thinks they're all out of their minds, and to watch him ride his, you'd have to agree with him. I say if you think it pushes, you're sitting too far back. Moving 2" makes a huge difference in the bike's behavior. Pulling the forks up 5mm makes a noticeable difference, reducing the rear sag 5mm makes a difference. Even picking the right handlebar makes a difference.

You should ride a couple of them, and decide for yourself.

• motobeck

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:30 PM

No, changing sprockets won't help because it doesn't change the transmission ratios.

Some people think the '06/7 YZ450 pushes the front. My son thinks they're all out of their minds, and to watch him ride his, you'd have to agree with him. I say if you think it pushes, you're sitting too far back. Moving 2" makes a huge difference in the bike's behavior. Pulling the forks up 5mm makes a noticeable difference, reducing the rear sag 5mm makes a difference. Even picking the right handlebar makes a difference.

You should ride a couple of them, and decide for yourself.

I agree totally with what Gray says about rider position. I've noticed many times on my 06 towards the end of the day the bike seems to push a little. It is always a case of me being tired and not getting up on the front in the corners. Also, I've learned that slight changes in set up make a big difference.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:36 PM

I agree totally with what Gray says about rider position. I've noticed many times on my 06 towards the end of the day the bike seems to push a little. It is always a case of me being tired and not getting up on the front in the corners. Also, I've learned that slight changes in set up make a big difference.

great point...and this is why a stock seat hinders a tired rider from getting weight up to the front of the bike.....it has a deep dip in the middle of the stock seat. This is where a tired riders weight will stay typically
The Fix? .... SDG Tall seat...it is flat all the way across the top:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:52 PM

.....it has a deep dip in the middle of the stock seat.

If you weren't so heavy, the dip wouldn't be so deep. :lol: :ride: :lol: :busted: :lol:

JK :lol: :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:57 PM

If you weren't so heavy, the dip wouldn't be so deep. :lol: :ride: :lol: :busted: :lol:

JK :lol: :thumbsup:

hey you know us VET Riders,,,,are sponsered by every all you can eat buffet in town......too bad the bars don't feel the same way :lol:

• 917 rider

Posted November 20, 2007 - 03:47 PM

My son has no idea what "they" are talking about. Once at a local track he was being slowly chased down by a more experienced rider working hard to reel him in on a KXF450. He ran through a soft left hander turning up a hill like always. The Kawasaki guy lost the front end and crashed.

grey racer..............i would agree with your son having just sold my 07 kx450.the 08 yz 450 does handle better imo:applause: my friend also bought the 07 kx the same day i got mine, he is pretty fast like me, but he never got used to it and started to wreck alot:banghead: .he went back to suzuki.to me the faster you ride the kawi the harder it is to ride.the yami is the complete oposite the faster the better:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.