Advice On YZ450F '05' - Rings and Valves

6 replies to this topic
  • muddza

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Has been two years since purchase of my '05' YZ450F and was considering replacing the rings with the ones in the spares kit...+ also re-shim the valves if they need...

Is this advisable ??? Will these bring the bike back to life ??? When hot the bike and trying to start, sometimes it takes a few extra kicks and feels as if ther is no compression in the motor??? I have had the valves checked twice since purchase once after break in and once about twelve months ago, nothing had moved and all was in spec...

Should I just keep ridin and save my coin for a newbie :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Has been two years since purchase of my '05' YZ450F and was considering replacing the rings with the ones in the spares kit...+ also re-shim the valves if they need...

Is this advisable ??? Will these bring the bike back to life ??? When hot the bike and trying to start, sometimes it takes a few extra kicks and feels as if ther is no compression in the motor??? I have had the valves checked twice since purchase once after break in and once about twelve months ago, nothing had moved and all was in spec...

Should I just keep ridin and save my coin for a newbie :thumbsup:

I'd replace the rings, valve springs, valve seals, and timing chain. A fresh set of rings will make a noticable difference, the rest of it is preventative maintenance.

• muddza

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:17 PM

I also installed the heavier flywheel when I purchased to smooth out the power, now I am wanting it back, however I still do a lot of Enduro, I would say I compete 50/50 On Track and Trail...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • muddza

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Looking to get the snap back...:thumbsup:

• Jake92

Posted November 13, 2007 - 06:16 AM

I am doing mine right now. 05 YZ 450 105 hours. A long season. I went through this site in the oem store and paid like 240 for Piston, Rings, wristpin, clips, valve seals, valve springs, keepers and timing chain. I'll tell ya Thursday as tonight I am doing a little cleaning to my intake and exhaust ports.

• muddza

Posted November 13, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Yah keen to hear the results!

• Jake92

Posted November 15, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Much better. Snappier and way easier to start!! I just need to get a new clutch basket to get rid of some annoying noises while sitting on the stand,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.