Fixed 01 WR426 with 03 450 carb; question

13 replies to this topic
  • robmackn

Posted November 12, 2007 - 06:00 PM

I've been screwing around trying to get my 426 to run smoothly on the road (supermoto) for four years. Finally just broke down and bought a 03 WR450 carb on ebay put it on and bingo. The problem was at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle cruising on a flat road doing 45 or faster and having a surge/hesitation that was really anoying, especially going through turns on the street. The old carb had excellent acceleration and top end. When dirt riding I never noticed the problem. I ripped the two carbs appart to compare and the only major difference I noticed was that the starter jet on the old carb is 65 and 78 on the new. This is a Canadian carb. I think it's 72 on US models. Does any one know what the starter jet is doing?

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Does any one know what the starter jet is doing?

The starter jet meters fuel to the "choke" circuit when the choke is pulled out.

• bg10459

Posted November 12, 2007 - 06:16 PM

The starter jet is only for the choke circuit.

• robmackn

Posted November 13, 2007 - 12:43 PM

I guess that the starter jet is not the culprit. It's obvious to me that the two carbs are quite different. Can anyone post all of the specifications shown in the owner's manual for the 03 WR450 carburetor please?

• robmackn

Posted November 14, 2007 - 12:45 PM

OK. In case anyone reads this thread I've done my research and know all about the stock 03 WR.

• SXP

Posted November 18, 2007 - 06:15 PM

OK. In case anyone reads this thread I've done my research and know all about the stock 03 WR.

Mind sharing? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

• robmackn

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:17 PM

There is a link somewhere on Thumpertalk to download Yamaha owner manuals from Yamaha Australia. The manual I downloaded shows the following:

USA CAN
MAIN 150 160
AIR JET 2.0 2.0
NEEDLE OBDUT OBDUQ
CLIP POS 4 4
PILOT 45 48
PILOT AIR JET 70 80
PILOT SCREW 1-3/4 1-1/2
STARTER JET 65 65

The carb I purchased and installed has a 165 main, NCVQ needle set at 3rd clip, 42 idle jet, and 78 starter jet. I don't know much about the needle. Just starting to learn a little about needle options. I noticed that the bottom end is little weak but I'm running the WB E2 pipe with the plug in it. Once it gets up in the revs it really takes off. I haven't had a chance to dick around with main jet size and clip positions. That's next.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • manotickmike

Posted March 01, 2014 - 01:53 PM

There is a link somewhere on Thumpertalk to download Yamaha owner manuals from Yamaha Australia. The manual I downloaded shows the following:

USA CAN
MAIN 150 160
AIR JET 2.0 2.0
NEEDLE OBDUT OBDUQ
CLIP POS 4 4
PILOT 45 48
PILOT AIR JET 70 80
PILOT SCREW 1-3/4 1-1/2
STARTER JET 65 65

Hey, can someone verify this?

I'm about to order a bunch of parts, ( 3 different Yamahas, and one extra carb...) and I'd really like to know what jets are used in the Canuck version of the carb on my '02 WR426. I'm thinking of ordering stock stuff, and one set a shade richer for cold weather riding/tuning.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2014 - 02:00 PM

The Canadian carb also does not have a ACV system, hence the different sizes of pilot, pilot air jet, and pilot jet.

Also, the main and needle are based around stock airbox and exhaust, which you hopefully will not be using. 

You should be using an N needle (NCVS for example) and a 160/165 main when uncorked.

Both of those listed needles are way to lean for an uncorked motor.

Colder climates can use as large as an 85 starter jet too.

• manotickmike

Posted March 02, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Good info, thanks! I didn't know about the ACV. I'll do some reading about that.
I understand from searching here, that the euro/Canadian exhaust isn't as restrictive as it appears. I REALLY like the idea of quiet, and easy starting and reliability are 10x more important to me than any increase in performance. I think I'll order both diaphragms, the slide seal thing, a new petcock, a one-up needle, and std and one up pilot, main and starter jets, and start in. Right now, it's below freezing in my garage, no hope of starting it. Happily, I did find the Canadian parts "fiche" on line, so I can order online from the USA using part numbers.

Edited by manotickmike, March 02, 2014 - 09:53 AM.

• manotickmike

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:20 PM

OK, I've searched.

What's ACV stand for??

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 03, 2014 - 02:45 PM

Automatic Coast Valve

It enrichens the pilot circuit with the throttle is shut, during deceleration.

I leave mine in, and ignore it. 

• manotickmike

Posted March 03, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Thanks!

Say, is there a thread which details the differences between the US and Canadian bikes? I hear a LOT of rumours, I'l like to know for certain!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 03, 2014 - 04:49 PM

It's all in the service manual

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.