energy conserving oil

13 replies to this topic
  • jonnyherbs

Posted November 12, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Why is some oil labeled as "energy conserving oil"? what does that mean?
And if that doesn't answer this...why shouldn't you use this for 650's (and other motorcycles)?

Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 02:39 PM

And if that doesn't answer this...why shouldn't you use this for 650's (and other motorcycles)?

Thanks

usually its a lighter oil.

• percyco

Posted November 12, 2007 - 03:10 PM

It has additives in it that are ment for auto engines, it will make your clutch slip, dont use it in your bike ! Plenty of oils without it just check the labels, Mobil 1 15w50 for one .

P

• TDC71

Posted November 12, 2007 - 03:16 PM

+1 to percyco. Clutch slippage is the #1 reason

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Unlike the old days, motorcycle oil really is formulated for use in motorcycles: higher shear strength, higher tempeture, longer life.
Stay away from oil for autos, as it all has mostly changed to include 'engery saving' additives.

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Unlike the old days, motorcycle oil really is formulated for use in motorcycles: higher shear strength, higher tempeture, longer life.
Stay away from oil for autos, as it all has mostly changed to include 'engery saving' additives.

this is what i've been taught all my life. the motorcycle oils have certain additives that are needed.

• weskc35k

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Nah that oil is just plain lazy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DREWBUSH

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:41 PM

"Energy conserving" oil contains Moly, which is not good in a wet clutch bike. It will cause the clutch plates to slip as already stated.

• martinfan30

Posted November 13, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Nah that oil is just plain lazy.

lmao!:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted November 13, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Thanks

it means "stay away from me" DONT BUY it lol look for oils that dont have that in the circle thing where its labeled

• reconranger

Posted November 14, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Good read about oils: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

All the car oils contain more friction modifiers than a JASO MA motorcycle oil. Friction modifiers like moly (MoS2), can make your wet clutch slip. The "energy conserving" car oils, have monster amounts of friction modifers, and a guaranteed to make your clutch slip!

• cleonard

Posted November 14, 2007 - 01:50 PM

Stay away from the energy conserving oils. That is all you need to know.

The only thing guaranteed with the "energy conserving" oil is low viscosity. It may come with other damaging additives. Stay away from it.

The JASO MA rating only signifies that the oil will play nice with the wet plate clutch.

I used to run motorcycle oils. I don't anymore. These days I'm a Rotella user.

• martinfan30

Posted November 14, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Stay away from the energy conserving oils. That is all you need to know.

The only thing guaranteed with the "energy conserving" oil is low viscosity. It may come with other damaging additives. Stay away from it.

The JASO MA rating only signifies that the oil will play nice with the wet plate clutch.

I used to run motorcycle oils. I don't anymore. These days I'm a Rotella user.

for any specific reason?

• cleonard

Posted November 14, 2007 - 02:40 PM

for any specific reason?

I'd say the main reasons are cost and the ease of availability. I was not overly impressed at the viscosity breakdown of the Honda oil that I was using. It came out real thin. Almost as bad as car oil. The Rotella is amazing in this respect. Better than anything that I had used before.

I think that Rekluse recommends the Rotella for the slipper clutches. That sounds like a good endorsement to me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.