Lost Bolt-Losing Oil--Need Help Identifying

6 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted November 12, 2007 - 02:09 PM

I took my old (93) XR600R to the MX track this weekend.. Needless to say-it was a lot of fun! I have never ridden a track before. Today, I am so sore. I feel like I called Mike Tyson an upstanding, honest citizen to his face..

Anyway, my last lap of the day I felt like my left foot was a little hotter than the right. I looked down in dismay to see that my left boot was being sprayed with hot engine oil!!!!!

I immediately shut the engine down. When I stopped, I checked the oil dipstick and there was nothing registering on the stick. I leaned the bike on a tree so I could get a better look at where it was coming from.. If you look back behind the cover over the stator, and just in front of the front sprocket, you will see that there is a bolt that goes into the case there.. Maybe it was a plug? Regardless, whatever was supposed to be there-ain't there no more! There appear to be TWO bolts in that same general area, within an inch or so of each other. The one that I am missing is the TOP one..

Can anyone tell me whether that is a bolt that goes into something else, or whether it was just an external plug for an oil passage?

Any idea how to locate the item? I can just imagine calling my local Honda dealer and trying to explain what that bolt is, and then waiting to see what they actually ship me!

I'm looking on-line at Bike Bandit, but can't seem to physically see the bolt that I need as it is more focused on the stator part, and does not show the recess behind the stator cover, in front of the front sprocket..

If anyone can help I would sincerely appreciate it. Besides blisters, my hands are the only thing that I can move right now without wimpering..

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 12, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Wasn't the neutral switch, was it?

Dave

• Kawabuggy

Posted November 12, 2007 - 02:44 PM

Bike not equipped with a neutral switch-BUT maybe there was a plug there just for that reason?????? The hole definitely lines up with where the transmission resides inside the case. That might be the ticket!

I did call the Honda shop.. The guy did his best and thinks it is a 10MM X 16 plug that takes a copper washer to seal. It's on order and should be here later this week. I will get the bike back to my shop, and try the bolt to see if it works.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FoolishMortal

Posted November 12, 2007 - 04:07 PM

Is that the crankcase drain plug? It's on that side and that position, and it certainly would spray your foot...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:00 PM

I took my old (93) XR600R to the MX track this weekend.. Needless to say-it was a lot of fun! I have never ridden a track before. Today, I am so sore. I feel like I called Mike Tyson an upstanding, honest citizen to his face..

Anyway, my last lap of the day I felt like my left foot was a little hotter than the right. I looked down in dismay to see that my left boot was being sprayed with hot engine oil!!!!!

I immediately shut the engine down. When I stopped, I checked the oil dipstick and there was nothing registering on the stick. I leaned the bike on a tree so I could get a better look at where it was coming from.. If you look back behind the cover over the stator, and just in front of the front sprocket, you will see that there is a bolt that goes into the case there.. Maybe it was a plug? Regardless, whatever was supposed to be there-ain't there no more! There appear to be TWO bolts in that same general area, within an inch or so of each other. The one that I am missing is the TOP one..

Can anyone tell me whether that is a bolt that goes into something else, or whether it was just an external plug for an oil passage?

Any idea how to locate the item? I can just imagine calling my local Honda dealer and trying to explain what that bolt is, and then waiting to see what they actually ship me!

I'm looking on-line at Bike Bandit, but can't seem to physically see the bolt that I need as it is more focused on the stator part, and does not show the recess behind the stator cover, in front of the front sprocket..

If anyone can help I would sincerely appreciate it. Besides blisters, my hands are the only thing that I can move right now without wimpering..

Try posting this in the XR600/650 forum. They will know.

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Try posting this in the XR600/650 forum. They will know.

isnt that where we are! LOL not to be a smart ass:busted:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 13, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Is that the crankcase drain plug? It's on that side and that position, and it certainly would spray your foot...

Sounds too high for that- but it could also be the sump oil-height check plug.

This'd be easy with a photo...

http://houseofmotorc...ineId~3107.aspx

http://houseofmotorc...0r-1993/o/m3107

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.