How To Make Neutral Less Obvious? 07 WR450

7 replies to this topic
  • RickSanson

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi All!

As my 07 WR450 ages (31 hours / 800 miles) I am accidentally hitting neutral more and more. There is the instruction on thumperfaq on modifying the "Star Wheel" to reduce the likelihood that neutral is found.

See here: http://www.thumperfa...h_mods.htm#Star

In looking at the 2007 WR450F manual the first observation is that the "Star Wheel" is called a "Segment" but more importantly is the disassembly to get to the segment or star wheel.

I can't imagine that everything the manual says needs to be disassembled to get to the segment is necessary...

Has anyone pulled the segment/star wheel on this engine? What is the minimum required to get to the thing?

Thanks in advance!

• RickSanson

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:14 PM

No-one???

Certainly somebody has done this and has a few tips in mind?

• antigrav

Posted November 16, 2007 - 02:47 PM

You HAVE to make sure all your shifts are firm, don't just lightly tap it, make sure you SHIFT it. I'm serious, in MX you make SURE you hit the shift or you could mess up the take off of a jump. ONce you shit your pants,by missing a couple key shifts you realize to make firm assertive shifts. Hold them a bit longer than you think... until its engaged. Bottom line is this isn't a major issue with my 07 WR and probably most of them. Actually it was hard to find nuetral at first before it broke in.

• RickSanson

Posted November 16, 2007 - 03:49 PM

I was looking for mechanical disassembly tips to make the removal of the star wheel more easily performed! That's why I posted this question here rather than "How do I shift a motorcycle?" in the Off-Road Riding Technique forum...

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woodster

Posted November 16, 2007 - 09:46 PM

the wr manual is very good, and will show you how.
But basically its water out , oil out, front pipe off, rear brake pedal off, clutch cover off, complete clutch assy off, shift shaft out( just pull) and don't drop the small cap off the end of the selctor mech assy. then undo the two 6mm bolts( 10mm head) holding the shift plate on carfully pull out the shift mech assy trying to hold it together for amatures i suggest placing a zip tie around this when its out as its spring loaded, and makes its reassmbly easier? then take the 8mm bolt(12mm head) that holds the star on out , pull on the star ; and there you have it. But do look in your manual.......... what do they say ................ a picture is worth a thousand words !!

• RickSanson

Posted November 17, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Woodster!

I was hoping that there may be a shortcut to do this. You know, you can follow the manual to replace the jets in the carb or loosen the carb in the boot and turn it to get to the jets.

That kind of thing. Obviously you've been at the segment/star wheel so I'll take you advice!

Thanks again!

• woodster

Posted November 17, 2007 - 11:21 AM

rick,
I hear ya, Im an ex factory yamaha mechanic, It takes you more time to read the manual than it does to actually do the job in hand, usually you can skip about half the bulshit written to do a simple job.

• Nostalgic

Posted November 18, 2007 - 04:07 PM

the wr manual is very good, and will show you how.
But basically its water out , oil out, front pipe off, rear brake pedal off, clutch cover off, complete clutch assy off, shift shaft out( just pull) and don't drop the small cap off the end of the selctor mech assy. then undo the two 6mm bolts( 10mm head) holding the shift plate on carfully pull out the shift mech assy trying to hold it together for amatures i suggest placing a zip tie around this when its out as its spring loaded, and makes its reassmbly easier? then take the 8mm bolt(12mm head) that holds the star on out , pull on the star ; and there you have it. But do look in your manual.......... what do they say ................ a picture is worth a thousand words !!

WOW!!! Now that is good advice right there. I wish I knew someone with your knowledge that lived nearby! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.