This Has To Be Some Kind Of Record

12 replies to this topic
  • Agent2

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:48 AM

So I head up to the desert Saturday to do some riding, brand new Maxxis IT Desert tire on the back. Fire up the bike, let it warm up and take off. Less than a hundred yards from the truck I hear a "thunk, thunk", stop the bike and notice a rusty old 16 penny nail in the back tire. I didn't even get the bike out of first gear!!! Luckily it didn't go through the inner tube, but it did manage to trash the shock mud flap. I know Acerbis has mud flaps, but none for the 650r. Any recommendations on which one would be the closest match, or homebuilt options?

• jim1234

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:58 AM

I think I paid 14.00 for a honda one , at the dealer last week

• philipstjohn

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:29 AM

My local dealer does not stock parts for the 650R, so I order from Service Honda or Honda direct when I need OEM parts. The spash guard is 8.79 from Service Honda (just replaced mine), and I usually can think of other things to order, ie oil filters, gaskets, etc. to offset the shipping. Actually, it would cost me more in fuel today just to drive to my local dealer and back then the standard shipping costs of these companies. So, I save a few bucks, and get OEM parts delivered to my doorstep. Works for me... :thumbsup:

• Agent2

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:48 AM

After my local Honda dealer quoted me $40 for a chain slider last week, I didn't even think of asking them about the price on the splash guard but now maybe I will. Thanks guys.

• cleonard

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:12 AM

When ordering something cheap like this I don't use ServiceHonda. They seem to want a minimum of $15 to ship me anything. They are also really slow. For cheaper things like this I use Bike Bandit. The price might be $2 more but the shipping is $5 and they are faster.

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:29 AM

When ordering something cheap like this I don't use ServiceHonda. They seem to want a minimum of $15 to ship me anything. They are also really slow. For cheaper things like this I use Bike Bandit. The price might be $2 more but the shipping is $5 and they are faster.

+1......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:24 PM

I too needed a airbox splash gaurd:
- Service Honda wanted 9.60 plus 16.25 to ship
- Bike Bandit wanted 10.20 plus 14.60 to ship.
I'll order it from the dealer for 11.20 and drive to get it.

The acerbis version is too small; I compared it against the one on my X.

• HawkGT

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:42 PM

My paddle ripped my guard off and now the mounting holes are buggered. Has anyone had that problem and found a good fix?

I've been using makeshift guards. A section of plastic container (milk jug, etc) zip-tied to the shock spring works surprisingly well but I want my normal guard back.

• weskc35k

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:13 PM

I buy a few at a time as they seem to get wrecked easy.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:19 PM

When you consider the shipping costs on some items it really is cheaper to go to your local Honda dealer and order the part. I found this true of oil and air filters and the mud flap.

• Billahjack

Posted November 13, 2007 - 12:15 AM

License plates seem to wear a bit better than the shock mud guards.

• BBA

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:09 AM

So I head up to the desert Saturday to do some riding, brand new Maxxis IT Desert tire on the back. Fire up the bike, let it warm up and take off. Less than a hundred yards from the truck I hear a "thunk, thunk", stop the bike and notice a rusty old 16 penny nail in the back tire. I didn't even get the bike out of first gear!!! Luckily it didn't go through the inner tube, but it did manage to trash the shock mud flap. I know Acerbis has mud flaps, but none for the 650r. Any recommendations on which one would be the closest match, or homebuilt options?

So how do you like the Maxxis IT Desert tire ? Im thinking about trying it out on the back of my BRP but I have not heard much about it.

• Agent2

Posted November 13, 2007 - 08:44 AM

BBA I have been using the Maxxis IT Desert for a couple of years and really like it, seems to last 3 times longer than a Dunlop 739. Wears like iron, but since it uses a hard rubber compound it's not the best for wet conditions. Maxxis tires run on the narrow side sizing wise so be sure to get the 120/100/18 - about the same width as a Dunlop 110.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.