Scotts or GPR damper

I was out riding today and hit a rut before a small jump on a high speed straight. It kicked me over center and put me into a violent headshake. I thought it was all over with but the crying. The guy behind me said he had to clean his drawers. This is the second time this has happened in the last two weeks. I want to know wich damper you guys like. I would like the SUB mount. I know Scotts and GPR both have one. I have 07 450 with a set of Applied 24mm offset clamps on it.

Thanks

I was out riding today and hit a rut before a small jump on a high speed straight. It kicked me over center and put me into a violent headshake. I thought it was all over with but the crying. The guy behind me said he had to clean his drawers. This is the second time this has happened in the last two weeks. I want to know wich damper you guys like. I would like the SUB mount. I know Scotts and GPR both have one. I have 07 450 with a set of Applied 24mm offset clamps on it.

Thanks

Scotts...period

I chose the Scotts setup on the advice of a local racer and his mechanic. I was told they had trouble with the GPR's leaking oil frequently. They switched to the Scotts and have had a total of zero problems. I'm going on 9 months with the Scotts and am very pleased with the performance, reliability and the ever important "save my ass" factor. ?

If the GPR's quality was beyond any reproach, I would still recommend Scotts. They're brilliant. The device has an on-the-fly adjustable basic damping valve, and independent left and right sweep adjustments. Furthermore, not only are they still, as far as I know, the only damper that even has a high speed damping rate valve, it's also adjustable.

Topping that off is some of the best customer service imaginable.

Thanks guys! I called Scotts today and they don't make a sub mount for the Applied clamps. They told me to give them a call to see if they had anything available. Turns out they do have a set now for the Yamaha and Honda. I went ahead and ordered for $94.00. Now all I need is the Damper and clamp with pin.

Ive ridden with both, I had a GPR on my 02 CRF450 because it was on there when I bought the bike, and I bought one for my 06 YZ450 because Scotts didnt have anything out yet. Having used both, I would highly recommend Scotts, it seems to work much better stopping slow speed deflection. I sold the GPR on my 06 as soon as the Scotts came available, and I did have problems with it leaking, right out of the box. I called Scotts for my 08 and again I will have to wait as the steering head is larger than previous years but I wont be buying the GPR this time, even though theirs is out.

Ive ridden with both, I had a GPR on my 02 CRF450 because it was on there when I bought the bike, and I bought one for my 06 YZ450 because Scotts didnt have anything out yet. Having used both, I would highly recommend Scotts, it seems to work much better stopping slow speed deflection. I sold the GPR on my 06 as soon as the Scotts came available, and I did have problems with it leaking, right out of the box. I called Scotts for my 08 and again I will have to wait as the steering head is larger than previous years but I wont be buying the GPR this time, even though theirs is out.

Do you know when they will be available for to 08 450?

I have owned 3 scotts dampeners and 4 GPR dampeners over the years. I did have a couple of leaky seal problems with the older style GPR but they were always fixed free of charge by GPR. When GPR came out with their updated model they sold them to me for 100.00 plus a trade in of my old units. I have not had one single problem with the newer dampeners. When I ride I make very few and small adjustments when needed and have been satisfied with their performance. Customer service has been the best that I have ever had, never a problem. I have had very poor service from Scotts in the past though, although it has been quite a while since I have dealt with them.

As far as all of the features and adjustments of the Scotts go, in my case less is more. GPR is simple and does the job that I want it to do.

Thanks

I have a submount scotts on an 05CRF450R and a third gen (handlebar adjustment, sub mount) GPR on an 07YZ450F. If I could put the handlebar adjuster on my Scotts it would be perfect. I have the quick adjusters, but with a bar pad in the way, you almost have to stop to make use of it. As far as the dampening goes, the scotts wins by a mile - it can be fine tuned in so many ways. It took me a while to get used to the return dampening the GPR has. It feels very unnatural after riding with a scotts. I have to say, they both work and I use the handlebar adjustment on the GPR all the time. But the next purchase for me will be a scotts. GPR has very questionable support in my experience. They had to ship me several different designs on the bolt on frame clamp (holds the pin) before I got one that would stay put - this took a lot of arm twisting to accomplish. I also destroyed a steering head nut (supplied by GPR) because I was trying to torque it to factory specs and it turns out (after several calls) that they only want you to torque it to about half the factory spec - there was no metion of this in their instructions.

I had a Scotts on my 06 450 which worked flawless. It saved my butt numerous times. Sometimes I wondered if it worked until I rode my buddies without one.

Also, what you can do is mount it normally then cut the inside of a pad out to make room for the Scotts. It gives you some protection from smashing your face (only did that once) and it hides it a little bit from coveting eyes.