Instructions for replacing bendix spring

7 replies to this topic
  • Kato7

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Has anyone got a copy of the instructions to replace the bendix spring and fix the earthing problem on the estart 2 strokes?

• Mike in Fresno

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:57 PM

should be a warranty thru the dealer from what Ive heard on the internet. Some dealers are not aware of it yet.

• Husky lady

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:49 AM

should be a warranty thru the dealer from what Ive heard on the internet. Some dealers are not aware of it yet.

:lol: Just got off the phone to my dealer and KTM is taking care of it. 100%:ride: :thumbsup: Parts are on the way. My dealer was also not aware and KTM Tech confirmed what all of you are saying. Grease and replace with updated part:banana:
Hate to wait for parts but I can't ride anyways, torn ACL :lol: :busted:
I love my 3hunny:cheers:

• Kato7

Posted November 15, 2007 - 04:19 AM

My dealer is sending me replacement spring and instructions as I am a tad fussy and won't let anyone work on my bikes. Every year I get a new bike and after the dealer has done the pre delivery I go through it and find scary shit like handlebar pinch bolts torqued to 8NM or the last one was the wrong battery that was too big and buckling the seat. In Western Australia, at the moment unemployment is at its lowest ever due to our mining boom and unfortunately bike workshops are suffering with incompetent employees because that is all that is available.

• 40oz

Posted November 15, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Is it possible for you to scan those instructions and post them here (or links to them)?
Or possibly a step-by-step?

Thanks!

• Kato7

Posted November 17, 2007 - 04:20 AM

Is it possible for you to scan those instructions and post them here (or links to them)?
Or possibly a step-by-step?

Thanks!

Haven't heard anything yet. Bendix spring is on back order. Will see what I can do when I get it. Will possibly post a step by step.

• 40oz

Posted November 17, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks a lot, we (I) really need to get going on our FAQ, as it is in a sad state right now. But I really need eveyones help on the FAQ not a one man job by any means.
Feel free to look at the CRF250X forum's FAQ - kinda what I wanna do here as well.

Thanks again.

• Kato7

Posted November 20, 2007 - 02:05 AM

This is an easy job to perform and should take you no more than 20 minutes.
You will need an 8mm T-bar or ratchet, a pair of tweezers, replacement spring from KTM and waterproof grease.
1. Remove the bolts holding the black cover on the starter and ignition cover.
2. Undo the two bolts retaining the starter motor and wriggle the starter motor so that it slides out of the ignition cover casing. Remove the smaller cover with 3 retaining bolts and the gear inside. It should just slide out.
3. Undo the rest of the bolts retaining the ignition cover and remove from motor.
4. Bendix can now be removed as a complete unit. It is located in the top right hand side of motor inside ignition cover.
5. Once bendix is removed from the bike turn on it and you will notice it extends in overall length. Inside where it opens is a spring that looks like a bracelet. Using a pair of tweezers remove the spring by sliding it out and over the bendix mechanism.
6. Install the new replacement spring that your KTM dealer has supplied into the groove.
7. Reinstall in reverse order with plenty of waterproof grease.
Free spinning and sqealing should no longer be an issue.
(sorry can't help with photos as I don't own a digital camera or scanner)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.