1988 ATK 406 for 600 bucks

13 replies to this topic
  • toddmoses34

Posted November 11, 2007 - 05:21 PM

I have a chance to pick up a 1988 ATK 406 for 600 bucks. I don't know much about these bikes but this one has alot of power. It needs a clutch cable and rear brake rotor and brake pads front and back. If any of you guys know these bikes, I need to know how avaliable parts are for this bike and any other pros and cons. I do like the fact that it's american made and from a
quick ride down the road and back it will scream!

• srv543

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:01 PM

parts are probaly goin to be hard to fine. but get it

• TwoStrokeJedi

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Rotax engine is supposed to be super reliable!

• MrMeaty

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Its a good bike for a good price. The 406 is a quick machine, and would be a fun woods ride. Buy it. The parts are real easy to come by. Motoxotica in Fairfield Ca can help you out with that department. You can find them at motoxotica.com, or you can call Dan or Ann at 707-446-4282.

Good luck!

• CelticDude

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:45 PM

If Dan doesn't have a part: contact American Dirt Bike at:
http://www.americandirtbike.com/

• Sunny Socal

Posted December 19, 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have a '91. You won't need replacement parts, except for brake pads. Repairing or preplacing crash-damaged pipes and silencers can be a chore, but not impossible.
The countershaft-mounted brake may require some changes in riding style. It's very powerful and mashing on it can stall your bike in a hurry. Also, if you're in the habit of dragging the back brake, you can boil the fluid out of the master cylinder....and have no brake at all. Keeping fresh fluid in that system will help.
The engine is hammer-simple and you won't have to lay a wrench on it. The clutch is the only real wart on the bike. It requires a solid pull, and where the cable goes into the case is a bit..uh..under-engineered. It'll leak spooge down the side of the cases..doesn't seal well. Keep your cable clean and lubed..but it still takes a real manly squeeze to work the clutch.
Air cleaner is a Uni...and you don't have to buy it from an exotic shop. There may be a special ATK model, which has a slight angle to the spigot..but a straight Uni works fine.
The only kind of riding or racing that poses limitations is wide-open desert racing. Your bike will pull much taller gearing than stock, but you can only run a sprocket about two teeth smaller than stock, because of the shape of the hub. (I think your hub is the same as mine.)
You've got a great all-around, low maintenance dirt bike that'll do anything you want it to do.
SS

• toddmoses34

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I've always been a four stroker til now but had to add this ATK 406 to the collection. It's a little rough. It needed a clutch cable, rear sprocket, and still needs rear brake countershaft rotor, and
pads. I found Keith at www.americandirtbike.com to be very helpful and lucked out on ebay and found a parts lot that had alot of goodies. I rode it today for a couple of hours with only front brakes. I couldn't resist. This bike is very fast and amazingly light @ only 218lbs. Im guessing I'll have about 700in it by the time I get everything back together. I'll post some pics when done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gusano

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I've always been a four stroker til now but had to add this ATK 406 to the collection. It's a little rough. It needed a clutch cable, rear sprocket, and still needs rear brake countershaft rotor, and
pads. I found Keith at www.americandirtbike.com to be very helpful and lucked out on ebay and found a parts lot that had alot of goodies. I rode it today for a couple of hours with only front brakes. I couldn't resist. This bike is very fast and amazingly light @ only 218lbs. Im guessing I'll have about 700in it by the time I get everything back together. I'll post some pics when done.

Bought one of these in 1990, all white. One of the worst bikes I ever had. Typically had new bikes every year from 1979 on. Any 250 moto bike of that era could out power it. Could never get it to settle into turns with the linkless suspension. Could smoke the brakes in (1) moto. Cluth pull was way to hard. Crashed alot on that bike trying to do things that normal bikes of that era would do. Friend bought one the same time as me cause they looked cool and different. His ate pistons at least (3) times. I could barely sell the bike a year later. Still looked good, but everyone was on to them by that time and had to almost give it away. (Reminds me now of Cannondale) Probably OK trail bike.
Not trying to bash.. Just lettin ya know. :banghead:

• MrMeaty

Posted January 13, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Bought one of these in 1990, all white. One of the worst bikes I ever had. Typically had new bikes every year from 1979 on. Any 250 moto bike of that era could out power it. Could never get it to settle into turns with the linkless suspension. Could smoke the brakes in (1) moto. Cluth pull was way to hard. Crashed alot on that bike trying to do things that normal bikes of that era would do. Friend bought one the same time as me cause they looked cool and different. His ate pistons at least (3) times. I could barely sell the bike a year later. Still looked good, but everyone was on to them by that time and had to almost give it away. (Reminds me now of Cannondale) Probably OK trail bike.
Not trying to bash.. Just lettin ya know. :ride:

Most Ive spoken to who have owned 406s have said the same thing regarding the handling and power..... To an extent. They all also said the 406 is a highly tunable machine, and requires quite a bit of attention to tune it to your specific needs. Once dialed in, they are very good. Maybe not a competitive mx bike, but they will hold their own on any trail. Heck, Ill go out on a limb and say they would hang with most modern off road bikes in the singletrack.

Thats interesting what you say about the reliability... Thats honestly the first time Ive heard anything negative about any ATKs reliability. :banghead:

Oh well, they cant please everyone. Im sorry you had such a lousy experience. I had a Suzuki TM250 once (1974) that was the same way.:D :busted:

• Sunny Socal

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:10 PM

'The only kind of riding or racing that poses limitations is wide-open desert racing.'

What kind of an idiot would make such a dumb statement? Oh, that was me. What I MEANT to say was "only kind of off-road riding..."

OF COURSE the 406 wasn't a very good motocross engine. It's an air-cooled engine designed in 1970, for cryin' out loud. It is refined, however, beyond the wildest dreams of someone riding back in the '70's. For instance...it doesn't foul plugs, and can burble along off-idle for miles. It can also pull at fairly low rpm..pull like a 300cc stroker of similar vintage.

The linkless suspension truly doesn't settle, and you can't load it for seat-bump jumps..and you can get down the trail just fine without those "indoor" tricks; it's designed to ride over stuff, not bounce over it.
:banghead:
SS

• CalRMX

Posted May 05, 2008 - 09:30 PM

The 406 is a great bike, I had one for a while, partly because I had previously worked for ATK, and partly because I was seduced by the great reviews from one of the magazines (apparently aided by ATK giving free or discount 406's to some of the staff )

The bike is certainly unique, it does take a different riding technique, plus the rear brake really wasn't a good idea (copied from Kelvin Frank's trials bike) It's absolutely maintenace free, except for oil changes and air filter maintenance.

As for being slow, I had trouble selling mine, as it was too fierce for most people. I had the head installed with no gaskets, and running racing gas. I had a couple of people get off the bike having achieved 4th gear wheelies ashen faced, can't remember too many 250's that would do that. The short wheelbase probably didn't help.

buy it it's a good deal

• Gilkerson

Posted May 06, 2008 - 05:35 AM

I had a 406 also and wasn't crazy about it. I spent many hours tinkering with this bike trying to get it to handle good. I never had any confidence to ride it fast. For trail riding, I did like the rear suspension but most everything else was either average or really bad. Even the motor wasn't very strong, it felt like a stock 250. Funny thing was I thought I would have a hard time selling it, but a guy called from my ad and when he stopped by he had two other friends and two bikes(3 riders,2 bikes)to go riding for the weekend somewhere. I said go ahead and start it and take it for a spin, he said that's OK, Ill take your word for it, then handed me the cash, which was the same as what I paid for it a year earlier and they left. I felt like the luckiest guy that day.
Posted Image

Posted Image

• CalRMX

Posted May 06, 2008 - 08:06 AM

I had a 406 also and wasn't crazy about it. I spent many hours tinkering with this bike trying to get it to handle good. I never had any confidence to ride it fast.

One of the magazine reviews of the ATK 406 when it 1st came out said it "handled like a Maico", it handled nothing like a Maico in reality. Mine was OK, but scary at speed.

• Gilkerson

Posted May 06, 2008 - 04:15 PM

One of the magazine reviews of the ATK 406 when it 1st came out said it "handled like a Maico", it handled nothing like a Maico in reality. Mine was OK, but scary at speed.

I'd say it handled like a Maico with loose bolts. That's funny, I remember the mags also saying how well they handled. I always wanted one and when this one presented it's self I had to take it and see what it was like.
I had an '88 ATK250 MXer also, the engine was apart in a basket. A few months had gone by and I never got started on putting it together and lost interest, so a kid and his dad came by and took it, I look back and wish I would have finished it.

Related Content

Reviews

TM MX450F 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM MX450F 2011
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

TM MX250 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM MX250 2011
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

TM MX144 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM MX144 2011
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Leaving the 175 and going for the te125 by Mr. Biehl

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husaberg
  • 1 reply
Reviews

TM EN300 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM EN300 2011
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.