need help deciding on offset triple clamps, need help asap! thanks!

27 replies to this topic
  • wes782

Posted November 11, 2007 - 04:57 PM

alright guys, i came from a 06 honda crf450 to a 07 yzf450 this year. and i am not happy with my handling at all. i hate how the front tire always feels like its going to wash out. so what clamps do you think will be best. I am a upper B class rider and race supercross and motocross. so i need something that will work for both. i know you guys are going to say 24mm but if im spending the money i wanna make damn sure they will work good. And no i dont have a way to try any so im kinda flyin blind here. also do any of you know where i can get the applied clamps with a stem also? thanks!

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 11, 2007 - 05:44 PM

get the adjustable red baron clamps....they are 22 and 24mm

• wes782

Posted November 11, 2007 - 05:49 PM

how do those work? any one ever tried them?

• wes782

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:48 PM

anyone else? gray? need some help here guys, want to order these tonight or tommarow

• HMMRDWN

Posted November 11, 2007 - 07:38 PM

I am in the exact same boat right now. I want to order a set but dont know what I want. I had a 06 250F and the 27mm applied racing clamps were night and day to stock. I have been wondering what would happen if I put them on my 07 YZ450F?

Please let me know what you decide.

• wes782

Posted November 11, 2007 - 07:39 PM

im torn between the applied 24s or the pro circuit 22.5s..... im liking the pcs because they come with the stem already pressed. i wana find a place that sells applieds with the stem already pressed in.

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:25 PM

the red barons have the stem pressed. i dont have them, but they are on the christmas list. but the way i see it. if you buy 500 dollar PC 22.5mm offset clamps and you dont like em, and the 24 would have been a better choice your pretty screwed. the RB you can switch it.

• Climber

Posted November 11, 2007 - 09:11 PM

I have an 06 with 24mm applieds. They do help. I also went with a perili scorpion on the front and that helps too.

TO give you a comparison. I got to flog a friends 08 CRF450R. I could make it push. He and I, both, thought that the two bikes were fairly close in turning. His is more willing. But the yamaha will do good if you MAKE it.

Sag is everything...

On a side note, if the new bikes are all as good as the honda, the aftermarket companies are going to be hurting. The 08 CRF stock suspension is better than my 06 is and it is revalved.

• duzz10

Posted November 11, 2007 - 09:33 PM

I just put a set of Applied 24mm clamps on mine for MX and SX. Raised the fork tubes to the first line. It made a lot of differance. When I had my stock clamps on I had to have the fork tubes up about 50mm to make it turn, and then the rear was a little loose.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Wes the best way to see what works for you is to ride bikes with different offsets.....
Since time is not in this equation - try the 24s they seem to be the majority here. I use them on my 06.
Applied can be purchased at good prices at BTO. They do have a stem option but your stem is Ti and it is lighter than theirs. I preferred the rubber mounted oversized bar option.
Also front tire is key - I use Michelin MS3 Starcross for excellent hook up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoXT

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:28 AM

the red barons have the stem pressed. i dont have them, but they are on the christmas list. but the way i see it. if you buy 500 dollar PC 22.5mm offset clamps and you dont like em, and the 24 would have been a better choice your pretty screwed. the RB you can switch it.

Where can you get the Red Barrons? I google'd them but only found stuff for minis. Thanks:thumbsup:

• wes782

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Wes the best way to see what works for you is to ride bikes with different offsets.....
Since time is not in this equation - try the 24s they seem to be the majority here. I use them on my 06.
Applied can be purchased at good prices at BTO. They do have a stem option but your stem is Ti and it is lighter than theirs. I preferred the rubber mounted oversized bar option.
Also front tire is key - I use Michelin MS3 Starcross for excellent hook up

i didnt see the stem option on bto. where is it? thanks!

• Ga426owner

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:16 AM

i didnt see the stem option on bto. where is it? thanks!

Call them - they will know about it and can order it installed already for you

David

• adaguy

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:49 AM

Ok here is my journey and results
I belong to a private track that my buddies and I are always on. I consistently turn 2:20's on this track and then I put on a tall seat and magically I shaved two seconds, then I put on the 24mm applied clamps and now I turn 2:12's. I know that’s allot of time to shave off and may seem unbelievable but its true. The bike goes where I put it without as much input.
I am an amateur 42 year old rider that rides a 2006 yzf450

• Ga426owner

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:39 AM

Ok here is my journey and results
I belong to a private track that my buddies and I are always on. I consistently turn 2:20's on this track and then I put on a tall seat and magically I shaved two seconds, then I put on the 24mm applied clamps and now I turn 2:12's. I know that’s allot of time to shave off and may seem unbelievable but its true. The bike goes where I put it without as much input.
I am an amateur 42 year old rider that rides a 2006 yzf450

my results exactly....the tall seat and and clamps make the 06 a different bike all together......and that is why I don't have a 08:excuseme:

• gtguy

Posted November 12, 2007 - 05:28 PM

I went with the Storm link on my 06 and it really does seem to help. It raises the rear end about .5". I've ridden a HS with a damper and MX without and no headshake or quircky stuff. At $150 it's a lot cheaper than new clamps.

• scooter42

Posted November 12, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Scoot forward. Some bikes require seat position adjustment. Any time the front skates, move up. If you are not tall, cut out some seat foam with a razor and put the step just forward of where you sit now. You will tend to fall back on the seat as you tire out during the moto making less weight on front wheel. Cutting out foam will put you lower and forward changing everything. #1 Check sag Very important. Or just give it more gas and bring the back around the front!

• eazrider

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:24 PM

And....suggested sag for a 55 year old vet rider that probably rides over his head waaay too much? I was reasonably happy with the way my '06 450F turned, but, of course always am looking for more, better, etc. I was set up 5 mm below the line on the fork tubes, right on the edge of headshake. I had my sag set at 3.75 inches (sorry, old school brain) and was fairly comfortable with things. Guys on this forum ranted about this that and the other thing working better, turning better, etc. I decided to spring for a set of 24mm offset applied clamps. Honestly unless I'm doing something wrong, they don't work as well as the stock clamps. The steering felt very heavy, with a tendency to "knife in" in the corners. I slid the tubes down to just above the lines, and the knifing in went away, but I am not as comfortable with the Applied clamps as the stockers. I'm still playing with sag, (hence the "sag" question) damping, etc to get it to work in the corners. My advice at this point: Save your money and spend it on the gym.....

• almostinvincible119

Posted November 13, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Where can you get the Red Barrons? I google'd them but only found stuff for minis. Thanks:thumbsup:

http://www.redbaronr...ha Triple Clamp

• Ga426owner

Posted November 13, 2007 - 09:48 AM

And....suggested sag for a 55 year old vet rider that probably rides over his head waaay too much? I was reasonably happy with the way my '06 450F turned, but, of course always am looking for more, better, etc. I was set up 5 mm below the line on the fork tubes, right on the edge of headshake. I had my sag set at 3.75 inches (sorry, old school brain) and was fairly comfortable with things. Guys on this forum ranted about this that and the other thing working better, turning better, etc. I decided to spring for a set of 24mm offset applied clamps. Honestly unless I'm doing something wrong, they don't work as well as the stock clamps. The steering felt very heavy, with a tendency to "knife in" in the corners. I slid the tubes down to just above the lines, and the knifing in went away, but I am not as comfortable with the Applied clamps as the stockers. I'm still playing with sag, (hence the "sag" question) damping, etc to get it to work in the corners. My advice at this point: Save your money and spend it on the gym.....

I have my forks on the line, not the top stanction, and my sag is set 95-102mm depending on the track - 98-100mm is avg. Bike turns awesome. but my rebound/comp are set up for me with a revalve and this is pretty aggressive. If you are on stock springs/valving try STN settings first then increase or decrease rebound 1-3 settings to see if this fixes your problem. The Tall seat really helps me also:thumbsup:
You must experiment to tune it for your ability.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.