WR450F Stolen bike returned 11 months later!

24 replies to this topic
  • Ronbarbani

Posted November 11, 2007 - 04:29 PM

It a long story but my bike was returned 11 months after it was stolen last Christmas. I'm so happy to get it back. Never give up looking for your bike if some dirtbag steals it! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• The Regulator

Posted November 11, 2007 - 04:58 PM

It a long story but my bike was returned 11 months after it was stolen last Christmas. I'm so happy to get it back. Never give up looking for your bike if some dirtbag steals it! :lol:
Posted Image

Right on!!

Is that the dirtbag in the pick? :ride:

Just Kidding :busted:

That's Great ---> Ride on! :thumbsup:

Holy Crap ------> Howie Mandel?

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I've never been so lucky to get a bike back that was stolen from me . Heck the one the cops did find , they held it in storage for two months before releasing it to me then tryed to charge me 30 dollars a day storage for 72 days for a total of 2160 dollars . I just consider that bike stolen twice once by a theif and once by the cops.:thumbsup: :ride: :busted: :lol:

• Ronbarbani

Posted November 11, 2007 - 05:25 PM

The cops were no help in this case!

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:16 PM

cops only helped themselves to my bike . I don't consider that any help to me. so how did you find your bike?

• The Regulator

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:26 PM

What kind of condition was your bike in when you got it back?

Hopefully not too damaged. :thumbsup:

• The Regulator

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:28 PM

I've never been so lucky to get a bike back that was stolen from me . Heck the one the cops did find , they held it in storage for two months before releasing it to me then tryed to charge me 30 dollars a day storage for 72 days for a total of 2160 dollars . I just consider that bike stolen twice once by a theif and once by the cops.:thumbsup: :ride: :busted: :lol:

.....and the whole $2160. storage fees, are you kidding me? That should have just been waived! :lol:

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:47 PM

needless to say I think they just wanted a free bike. they found it so it was theirs . that is the beauty of being the LAW!!! . I tryed to get the fees they would not hear of it, even though I had gone to pick it up the day after they found it. They said they needed it for evidence . it was all just a ploy to steal me bike again

• Nostalgic

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:47 PM

I would love to hear the story Ron!

Also, tweav, did you get the bike back or let it go? Did they waive the fees at all?

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:48 PM

no the cops stole my bike:censored: :thumbsup: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:48 PM

Well, get proof and take them to court!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 11, 2007 - 09:04 PM

It a long story but my bike was returned 11 months after it was stolen last Christmas. I'm so happy to get it back. Never give up looking for your bike if some dirtbag steals it! :thumbsup:

That is great news! Have the dirtbags been caught?

I know what you mean too, I rode one of my friends bikes this weekend. We swapped for a while, my plated '04 wr450 for his bike, a real nice cr500. The CR was a blast to ride! Lots of power, high revving repeated handfuls of throttle just for fun. After swapping back again for the ride back to camp, i still liked my bike the best:applause:

Mine wheelies easier, is that because it has more torque?

• tweav

Posted November 12, 2007 - 12:26 AM

that's weird my 91 cr500 will smoke my 2007 wr450 as far power anywhere anytime but my wr handles much better. As for sueing the cops ahhhhh hmmmmm I don't think it would do any good . it would just be a waste of time . not to mention that was 13 years ago. but I'll never forget it

• NEKOOHC

Posted November 12, 2007 - 01:50 AM

thats great ..

ahhh yes .. i remember my CR500 got stolen , the idiot got chased by POLICE .
he looped the machine ... he went to hospital and i got my CR500R back !

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:47 AM

If they "needed" it for evidence, then they cannot charge you for storage. IF they informed you of its recovery,a nd you stalled on retrieving it, then storage fees might be in order. But if they prevented you from retrieving it, they cannot charge you anything for it.

I would get a case going with the DA, no matter how long ago it was. You will get some semblance of compensation for their bad behavior. The police are not above the law, even if they try and intimidate you into thinking so.

I'd be taking them to court, no doubt.

• Nostalgic

Posted November 12, 2007 - 02:51 PM

If they "needed" it for evidence, then they cannot charge you for storage. IF they informed you of its recovery,a nd you stalled on retrieving it, then storage fees might be in order. But if they prevented you from retrieving it, they cannot charge you anything for it.

I would get a case going with the DA, no matter how long ago it was. You will get some semblance of compensation for their bad behavior. The police are not above the law, even if they try and intimidate you into thinking so.

I'd be taking them to court, no doubt.

x2. A pain for sure but worth it!

• TheBlackSheep

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:59 PM

The cops were no help in this case!

Come on man. Don't do that to us, tell us the story! :ride: :busted:

................ bahhh :thumbsup:

• Ronbarbani

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:16 PM

I finished putting it back together. Here's a picture of the final product. Many people have been asking me how I got it back. Here's what happened; last year on Christmas weekend, some thieves broke into a motorcycle shop and stoled 16 motorcycles, all dirt bikes. My 04 WR450F was one of the 16.

I combed through ebay, cycle trader and craig's list daily, just looking for my bike, no such luck. When the bike was stolen, I reported the VIN number to our sheriff's department and received a copy of the police report.

The thieves sold my bike to an unsuspecting buyer for cash 6 months after it was stolen. They tried to disguise it by covering it with hundreds of decals and stickers, painted other parts and kept it dirty. The buyer bought it as a cash deal, no questions asked.

5 months after the buyer purchased the bike, he tried to sell it. He told me that the WR450F was too big and powerful for his stature. He needed something smaller. Remember now, he had no idea the bike was stolen. When he tried to sell it, the interested new buyer requested the vin number just so he could check it out. The owner freely gave it to him because he didn't know and different. The new buyer had bike stolen in the past and wanted to check it out.

The new buyer checked with his local police department and discovered it was stolen. He also remembered seeing my "stolen bike" add from craig's list. I had placed my vin number with a plea on craig's list for my bike. The new buyer remembered seeing my ad and decided to check to see if it matched. Of course it did. He told the seller that he owned a stolen bike and he called me and gave me the guy's name and phone number.

Needless to say, the guy that was trying to sell it was sick to his stomach and didn't want any part of owning a stolen bike. I promised the owner I would not press any charges if he simply returned my bike. He did! I kept my promise and did not press charges. The guy was totally bummed out but yet happy for me to get it back. He's out the money he spent on the bike plus supplies and maintenance. He also just had it serviced one week prior to this unravelling.

He also gave me the guy's name and number of who he bought it from with a bill of sale. Now it's up to me to locate the lowlife sleezbag.

I wish I would taken a picture before I started re-building it but oh well. Here's a picture of what it looks like now. Plus I'll keep you posted of what I find out.

Ron

Posted Image

• Nostalgic

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:42 PM

You must update us if you find the guy. Don't worry, you can be vague about the details. :thumbsup:

By the way, the bike looks great!

• tweav

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:58 PM

It is very cool that you got your bike back . but really sucks for the guy that gave it back . If you find the theif ,maybe you could get the cops to force the theif to pay the other guy back. It's a totally crazy deal man .I'm sure I would have gave up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.