Clutch Replacement: Replace it all or some?

6 replies to this topic
  • NuckingFuts

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:48 PM

So my clutch is engaging only at the last few millimeters of my clutch level throw so I figure my friction plates are just about shot.

What's typically changed, friction plates, springs, clutch plates? Or is there more/less that needs to be replaced for a typical clutch replacement?

• todds924

Posted November 10, 2007 - 06:00 PM

So my clutch is engaging only at the last few millimeters of my clutch level throw so I figure my friction plates are just about shot.

What's typically changed, friction plates, springs, clutch plates? Or is there more/less that needs to be replaced for a typical clutch replacement?

Take it apart and inspect it. Usually you can get by with just replacing the friction plates . It just depends though, take it apart and make sure the driven plates arent warped or burnt up.

• aford541

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:27 PM

all. stock parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:39 PM

You mean releasing? "Engaging" is when the clutch takes hold of the transmission when you let the lever out. "Disengaging", or "Releasing" is when it lets go as you pull the lever in. A lot of people get this backward.

Either way, if you meant that it doesn't release until it's pulled unusually far, this normally is because either you're using an oil that doesn't sit well with your clutch, or the plates are no longer flat.

Also possible is that the fingers of the clutch basket are notched excessively, which may make it difficult for the plates to move away from each other, or that the springs have sagged unevenly and are tilting the pressure plate.

Like the man said, pull it down and look. When I did the clutch in my 250F, it needed friction plates only, a new set of springs, and a basket.

• NuckingFuts

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:32 PM

You mean releasing? "Engaging" is when the clutch takes hold of the transmission when you let the lever out. "Disengaging", or "Releasing" is when it lets go as you pull the lever in. A lot of people get this backward.

Either way, if you meant that it doesn't release until it's pulled unusually far, this normally is because either you're using an oil that doesn't sit well with your clutch, or the plates are no longer flat.

Also possible is that the fingers of the clutch basket are notched excessively, which may make it difficult for the plates to move away from each other, or that the springs have sagged unevenly and are tilting the pressure plate.

Like the man said, pull it down and look. When I did the clutch in my 250F, it needed friction plates only, a new set of springs, and a basket.

No, when I let the lever out it engages at the end. In other words, if I pull the clutch lever in just a few mm it disengages the tranny from the engine.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:52 PM

That's not a typical complaint. New friction plates would likely cure that.

Be sure it has enough free play.

• NuckingFuts

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:28 AM

That's not a typical complaint. New friction plates would likely cure that.

Be sure it has enough free play.

Yeah, its more of a worry on my part. When properly adjusted it used to engage about half way out so its telling me Im getting down there on the meat. I'll take a look, thanks guys:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.