I bought a plated BRP....now the modding begins II.

11 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I picked up the bike this morning, and got a great deal. Got her home (2.5 hour drive) fired her up, and she ran like crap. Took it to the local spray-n-wash and gave her a deep cleaning. Drained the Turpentine out of the tank, pulled the jets and cleaned them (175/58s) and put the clip up one slot. I also plugged the open tube/brass fitting at the intake (gee, I wonder why it had hanging idle for 6 years: 'thats just how they run'), set the float level, and checked the plug and wire ( both brand new). It fired on the third kick, at idled like a kitten. Ahhh.
Posted Image
Upon closer inspection it is clear that this bike was outside most of it's life. It lived in the desert it's whole life, so the oxidization must have come from all that morning dew everyday for 6 years. It's really evident on the turnsignal lenses, which are opaque and spider cracked.
I forgot what tractors these motors are. No problem to short shift it 3 gears early, it just vibrates a bit more!
Accesment:
- rear fender and side panels are shot
- stock bars are shot (mauled up and bent a bit)
- still has stock front tire, chain and sproket (2/3 left)
- suspension mods (by RG3) are way too soft for me. I'll try a spring tighten, but doubt it will be enough. Dampening is gooey soft.
- Rear tailight is dead. Was going to replace it anyway.
- Nothing seems abused, misused, and no evidence of any internal motor work.
I have a ways to go before it fits me, and looks fresh, but I am still happy with my decision.
These are the before pictures: I put the stock tank back on, and have put on some temp graphics.
Posted Image

• husky123

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Nice sled dude. You sure the pilot is not a 68S?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 10, 2007 - 06:03 PM

Nice sled dude. You sure the pilot is not a 68S?

...you are correct sir. Ho-ahh.

• The Regulator

Posted November 10, 2007 - 06:48 PM

Congrats ~ Nice lookin bike dude! Gonna have to do the LA Barstow Vegas ride next year! Lots of extra goodies!

I just took my first ride on the XR400 today and love it.

Ride on! :thumbsup:

• Descalzo

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Very nice.

I see you got the same type of "dork-o" taillight mine came with when I bought it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Very nice.

I see you got the same type of "dork-o" taillight mine came with when I bought it.

I (rep)resent that. Some of my best friends are dorks. I'm still looking for a cleaner set up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Descalzo

Posted November 11, 2007 - 07:47 AM

I (rep)resent that. Some of my best friends are dorks. I'm still looking for a cleaner set up.

lol! - at least yours is black. Mine's a nifty chrome unit - looks right at home on the bike (not)

I'm still looking too. Seriously thinking about using that LED insert Wheeling makes for the stock light & hanging the plate off the rear of the fender.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Well, buyers remorse is setting in fast:

- Rear shock is shot: no clickers left and it is soft as hell
- Rear spring is a 9.0 !! That 's for a 130lb rider. It too is sacked anyway.
- Turnsignals went out last night. No fuse to be found.
- Can't get the 'mung' off the rear hub; looks like 'liquid nails' cement.

Arrrrgh!!

• sixxmarsleeneil

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Sorry to hear about the bike man! How much did you end up paying for it after negotiation (if any)? At least it's plated right? :-)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 13, 2007 - 07:57 AM

Found the BDkit short (rear tire cut into the right rear signal wire), ordered a new rear spring.

Everything is going to be fine.

:thumbsup: :ride: :busted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• tdamore

Posted November 13, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Let me know if you need some springs for that beast. I also have an eddy carb and some CR high fat bars left over from my BRP. You are welcome to the springs gratis but the eddy is gonna cost you a few benjamins :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Let me know if you need some springs for that beast. I also have an eddy carb and some CR high fat bars left over from my BRP. You are welcome to the springs gratis but the eddy is gonna cost you a few benjamins :thumbsup:

i AM PM'ING YOU NOW

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.