dr. d hot start?

7 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted November 10, 2007 - 10:31 AM

i have a 2002 426yz, with a DR.D hot start. got the bike not too long ago. the carb was a little gumed up. after cleaning it out the hot start is stuck and wount move. the bike seem to run lean, so i think its not all the way in? has any one ever had this, and what should i do to fix it?:thumbsup:

• firemike

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:17 PM

I have a 2000 yz426....I just ran into the same problem as you. The hot start cable was getting bound up underneath my seat. Try checking your cable routing....Hope this helps Mike

• todds924

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:53 PM

i have a 2002 426yz, with a DR.D hot start. got the bike not too long ago. the carb was a little gumed up. after cleaning it out the hot start is stuck and wount move. the bike seem to run lean, so i think its not all the way in? has any one ever had this, and what should i do to fix it?:thumbsup:

The plunger is probably corroded and stuck in the carb. These can be tricky to get out sometimes. I would go ahead and order a new plunger set and cable now. I have had luck using PB Blaster penetrating lube and a heat gun. I would unscrew the connector at the carb, spray some pen lube down in there and heat it with a heat gun. Then use some needlenose pliers to lightly pull on the cable. (99% of the time the cable will pull out of the brass plunger but then you can get some duckbill pliers on the plunger and try to spin it left and right to break it loose. If its that corroded stuck, you'll wan't a new one anyway. It's a good idea to pop these plungers out every now and then to lube them so this doesn't happen.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:01 PM

We had a DRD kit like this on our 250F, and it did the same thing. We found out it was from water getting into the cable when the bike was washed. Ours stuck after having sat for no more than two weeks, so yours might be a bigger challenge.

Start by getting the cable out of the lever so you can see the plunger and spring. Then use a good penetrant, as recommended, and work with it carefully. In extreme cases, the plunger may need to be drilled and threaded to be pulled free. If you need help to do this without butchering the carb, get it.

Once you get the plunger out, you need to next be certain to completely remove all of the aluminum corrosion from the plunger bore. I used a pistol brush (.270-.30 caliber) and the penetrating solvent to clean it out. If you don't do this, the stuff will "grow back".

To prevent it, you can stop washing the bike and avoid puddles, or pull the plunger out after each wash, rinse the bore with a carb cleaner that has alcohol in it, and dab it with waterproof grease. If that seems like a PITA, do what I do with every FCR thumper carb I've owned since then: After washing, start the engine, and while the choke is on, hold the hot start open and let it run for 30 seconds or so. The hot start will act like a thumb throttle and the air running through it will draw out any water in the bore. I haven't had one stick, including the DRD kit, since I started doing this. Just remember not to get your air filter wet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zaxcar1

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:48 AM

cool thanks. i can get it out of the carb, but when i put it back in it gets real tight. and then it wont move at the handle bar. so i will try the cleaning thing and greasing it. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:52 AM

cool thanks. i can get it out of the carb, but when i put it back in it gets real tight. and then it wont move at the handle bar.

First be sure the bore is totally clean, as I said above. Then you can use some 280-320 grit sand paper on the plunger to get it free. It should slide smoothly in the bore without being lubed.

• todds924

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:39 PM

First be sure the bore is totally clean, as I said above. Then you can use some 280-320 grit sand paper on the plunger to get it free. It should slide smoothly in the bore without being lubed.

I have used a pistol brush like you mentioned with great results!

• zaxcar1

Posted November 14, 2007 - 04:49 PM

thanks for all the help. i did what you said and it worked.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.