Question about Air fliter on XR 650r

10 replies to this topic
  • ryontd

Posted November 09, 2007 - 11:23 PM

Well I have finished Un-corking the bike, just got my shocks back from Precision Concepts and put back on the bike- and I thought I would change the Air filter also. My question is can I remove and discard the Metal filter that comes with the stock filter- I believe it is called a Frame trap. Do I really need this? It looks like it really clogs the air flow. I am putting in a Twin Air filter.

Thanks, Ryon

• cb60130

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I think the Twin air comes with a replacement for it....not sure... but if not try one of these

• scalejockey

Posted November 10, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Carefull...if you tip the bike over on a steep hill the air box will fill with gas,and if it pops back when you kick it over it can ignite in the air box if that screen is missing.

Can you say HOT SEAT!!???

• ryontd

Posted November 10, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Ok cool, I'll leave it on. Thank you very much

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 10, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Ok cool, I'll leave it on. Thank you very much

No get rid of it buddy it is way overkill get a twin air fire proof filter. Cut or drill with a holesaw 4 holes in your side plate and use pieces of your old back fire screen to cover the holes on the inside of your plate :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:03 PM

XR's only backfire screen, and a uni:thumbsup:

• scalejockey

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:09 PM

I removed the first layer of screen on mine (650r) but Iv'e heard some stories of the "hot seat". If you ever see gas coming out of the air box pop the cover off and let it air out a bit before you try to start it.

• Descalzo

Posted November 11, 2007 - 07:04 AM

No get rid of it buddy it is way overkill get a twin air fire proof filter. ...

Yeah - Take it out & throw it away.

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 11, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Ask the guys at PC what they use or used to use, you'll be surprised.

• ryontd

Posted November 11, 2007 - 09:35 PM

Alright cool- thanks again guys.

I rode the bike today over at the track i have made for my kids and I on our aunts 10 acres up here in Alpine- man what a diffrence un-corking the bike makes! Plus the suspension is so sweet. Cant wait to take this thing to the desert now and really push it. next thing I want to do is buy a stabilizer.

• ryontd

Posted November 11, 2007 - 09:40 PM

Also, when I remove the metal screen and drill a couple of holes in the side of the cover and add metal screen as a vent- do you guys think I will need to re jet or will I be fine at a 175main 68s slow?

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.