Little off topic, need help with Honda Nighthawk

13 replies to this topic
  • Whats In A Name

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:15 PM

Couldn't get a response anywhere else, and I figure there are some knowledgeable people here that can help me. My dad recently purchased a 2006 honda Nighthawk 250, and while it is fun to ride, the acceleration is not enough to make me hold on tight. I was thinking that I could up the jetting, possibly get a bigger carb, and maybe go down 2 teeth on the back sprocket. Is there anything else I can do to it , such as taking some sort of restricter off the carb? I know they come lean to meet EPA emissions.

If i were to do the above mentioned, what kind of increase in acceleratin would I notice?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Couldn't get a response anywhere else, and I figure there are some knowledgeable people here that can help me. My dad recently purchased a 2006 honda Nighthawk 250, and while it is fun to ride, the acceleration is not enough to make me hold on tight. I was thinking that I could up the jetting, possibly get a bigger carb, and maybe go down 2 teeth on the back sprocket. Is there anything else I can do to it , such as taking some sort of restricter off the carb? I know they come lean to meet EPA emissions.

If i were to do the above mentioned, what kind of increase in acceleratin would I notice?

That is a fairly overweight 250cc, so you should not expect too much acceleration. You did not mention mileage, condition, etc. It could just be worn out? It is not really the kind of bike that you are going to find experienced tuning tips on. I would leave it alone, save bringing it back to factory specs, ride it and have fun, and save for a better bike.

• Whats In A Name

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:45 PM

That is a fairly overweight 250cc, so you should not expect too much acceleration. You did not mention mileage, condition, etc. It could just be worn out? It is not really the kind of bike that you are going to find experienced tuning tips on. I would leave it alone, save bringing it back to factory specs, ride it and have fun, and save for a better bike.

It is brand new, has 200 miles on it, completely stock.

I cannot get a new bike untill i am 18, Hoping to get a cbr600rr, but while I have this, I think I would like to go up on the rear sprocket and down on the front.

how much acceleration difference would I notice from this.

• scalejockey

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:54 PM

not much, i think this bike puts out about as much power as a 125 2-s dirt bike with a lot more weight.

• martinfan30

Posted November 09, 2007 - 08:05 PM

the best thing you can do with that bike is find out if dynojet makes a jet kit for it. also find a after market pipe. then remove the snorkel from the airbox(if equipped, should have one if stock). changing your gearing will help acceleration but will affect your hiway cruising.

basically you are not going to get much out of a HEAVY 250 cruiser. sorry.

• Nate R

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:03 PM

Sell it and get a Ninja 250. :thumbsup:

• Big Red Paul

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:18 PM

What does your Dad say about you looking to supercharge his Nighthawk ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:20 PM

dont know what his dad say's , but this dad say's o hell ya!

you have a SC NH?

• cleonard

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:12 PM

not much, i think this bike puts out about as much power as a 125 2-s dirt bike with a lot more weight.

No, a 125 2 stroke makes a lot more power. I picked up a 82 CM250 for $50 at a garage sale. It has the same motor as the current 250 NightHawk. It only puts out something like 18 horsepower. Mine goes about 65 max on a flat road with no wind. I would never consider taking it on a freeway. It works on my commute to work, and it is kind of fun in it's own way. It's best feature is the insurance. It only costs me $22/year to insure. As soon as I put my other bike back together it's getting sold.

I have taken it on a few rides in the canyons near my home. Much to my amazement, I have passed many Harley's in the twisties.

If at all possible sell it and get the Ninja 250. The Ninja is in a totally different class. Everything about it is better and it has about twice the power. I think that the red liine on the Honda is 8500 RPM. On the Ninja it's 14,000. That is how the Ninja makes it's power. It will go about 100.

There is not a lot that you can do to get more power. Jetting will help some, but the largest gain will be to get rid of how cold blooded it is. On a cold day, mine just plain sucks until it warms up some. A one tooth smaller front sprocket may help some. Two smaller in front may be too much.

Don't waste much $$$ on trying to get it to go faster. Save up for a different bike. The single carb feeding two cylinders setup just kills the top end power. It's designed to run for 100,000 miles, not to go fast.

• scalejockey

Posted November 10, 2007 - 09:49 AM

NOS!!!! it YA baby!!

• Whats In A Name

Posted November 10, 2007 - 01:37 PM

No, a 125 2 stroke makes a lot more power. I picked up a 82 CM250 for $50 at a garage sale. It has the same motor as the current 250 NightHawk. It only puts out something like 18 horsepower. Mine goes about 65 max on a flat road with no wind. I would never consider taking it on a freeway. It works on my commute to work, and it is kind of fun in it's own way. It's best feature is the insurance. It only costs me $22/year to insure. As soon as I put my other bike back together it's getting sold.

I have taken it on a few rides in the canyons near my home. Much to my amazement, I have passed many Harley's in the twisties.

If at all possible sell it and get the Ninja 250. The Ninja is in a totally different class. Everything about it is better and it has about twice the power. I think that the red liine on the Honda is 8500 RPM. On the Ninja it's 14,000. That is how the Ninja makes it's power. It will go about 100.

There is not a lot that you can do to get more power. Jetting will help some, but the largest gain will be to get rid of how cold blooded it is. On a cold day, mine just plain sucks until it warms up some. A one tooth smaller front sprocket may help some. Two smaller in front may be too much.

Don't waste much $$$ on trying to get it to go faster. Save up for a different bike. The single carb feeding two cylinders setup just kills the top end power. It's designed to run for 100,000 miles, not to go fast.

Damnit, that was the response I was expecting..My dad is too much of a ***** to get anything other than this, the ninja 250 was "too fast" looking, and he wanted something that toped out around 65. my dad is no fun lol

Iplan on getting a cbr600rr when i turn 18, but that is not for a few months..just lookin to do a few things to this untill then, but i guess not..:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted November 10, 2007 - 02:27 PM

A crappy slow bike is a lot better than no bike. Ride it as much as you can and you will be a lot better off when you get something faster.

When I was your age I would get me ass whooped if I even thought about a bike of any type. My folks were extremely anti motorcycle. Look at the bright side you have a bike to ride.

• martinfan30

Posted November 10, 2007 - 11:35 PM

CL is right! you have a bike to ride and be glad your pop is lettting you use it!

just ride the thing!:thumbsup:

• philipstjohn

Posted November 11, 2007 - 04:50 AM

A crappy slow bike is a lot better than no bike. Ride it as much as you can and you will be a lot better off when you get something faster.

When I was your age I would get me ass whooped if I even thought about a bike of any type. My folks were extremely anti motorcycle. Look at the bright side you have a bike to ride.

Just ride it! Save the "mod money" for the 600RR. Be safe, learn the ways of the street, and just remember, everybody will cut you off or pull in front of you...:ride: :busted: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.