swapping a yz over or just buy a wr?

10 replies to this topic
  • fritzelman

Posted November 09, 2007 - 02:54 PM

I've got an 02 yz 426 and am cought in a delima. I LOVE the bike, but it doesn't really fit my needs, I do all trail riding and no MX.. I'm debating on just swapping out the parts I need to partially convert it to a WR, or just selling my bike and buying another. All i really want is the wide ratio tranny and a headlight. I've heard the 426's are built like an ox, so I dont really want to get rid of it. But on the other hand, it sure would save a lot of work. I figured a cost of about $700 or $800 for a headlight and gears (with what I want anyway, not the cheapest route). Where as a new bike wouldn't run more then about a grand after selling mine. I've done piston jobs, clutch overhauls, and the sort, but I have never really gotten into a transmission. But I imagine they couldn't be too hard. I guess what I'm asking, is it better to just go buy a WR, or swap out the gears and stator/flywheel? Any opinions?

Thanks,
Fritz

• off_road_4_me

Posted November 09, 2007 - 02:56 PM

I would buy a wr

• jpoehls

Posted November 09, 2007 - 03:49 PM

This is hard to give you an opinion. If your looking for a new WR; your out well more than a grand. If your looking used, then I concur with your cost estimate.

Go the used route if you do not want to be out more than a grand or so. See if you can get an 05 or 06 close to your difference. May be tough and you may go earlier vintage.

Could you get by on a simple sprocket set change like perhaps 13x50 or 13x51. This the cheapest route. Surely you have considered.

• Nostalgic

Posted November 09, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I would buy a wr

x2. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:44 AM

I've got an 02 yz 426 and am cought in a delima. I LOVE the bike, but it doesn't really fit my needs, I do all trail riding and no MX.. I'm debating on just swapping out the parts I need to partially convert it to a WR, or just selling my bike and buying another. All i really want is the wide ratio tranny and a headlight. I've heard the 426's are built like an ox, so I dont really want to get rid of it. But on the other hand, it sure would save a lot of work. I figured a cost of about $700 or $800 for a headlight and gears (with what I want anyway, not the cheapest route). Where as a new bike wouldn't run more then about a grand after selling mine. I've done piston jobs, clutch overhauls, and the sort, but I have never really gotten into a transmission. But I imagine they couldn't be too hard. I guess what I'm asking, is it better to just go buy a WR, or swap out the gears and stator/flywheel? Any opinions?

Thanks,
Fritz

I would by a WR.

Youre in WA state?

Check out this 04', apparently it is meticulous, (I believe that) and it's plated :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...uct=31751&cat=2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted November 10, 2007 - 10:19 AM

And its low mileage. I believe toyo tech's '04 has less miles than my '07

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 10, 2007 - 02:12 PM

I had a 02 426, fast bike. There well built, but won't last forever. I raced mine for 2 seasons and rode it 2-3 days a week for 2 years. I finally seized the bike, I'm sponsored by a local shop so I get a good deal on parts and labor, it still cost 1,700.00. I love YZ's, I kept buying them until the 07 WR came out. I won't go back, the bike took awhile to get the suspension dialed. It now eats up the woods and kills it in the desert. I love this bike, Jeff S

• fritzelman

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Could you get by on a simple sprocket set change like perhaps 13x50 or 13x51. This the cheapest route. Surely you have considered.

I have done that already. It helps, but the gearing is so close together, that I dont even need 2nd or 4th. But seems like just buying a WR is the way to go. Thanks guys!

• tweav

Posted November 10, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Just get a wr it's not worth changing almost the whole bike.There is not a lot that is the same any more . Not to mention the ez button .For us that don't want to kick it to death anymore . Hey why is it that I can't kickstart my 2007 wr 450 without kicking like 5 times . But I can kickstart my 1991 cr500 the first or second kick everytime?
Is it a four stroke thing that I don't understand?

• off_road_4_me

Posted November 10, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Just get a wr it's not worth changing almost the whole bike.There is not a lot that is the same any more . Not to mention the ez button .For us that don't want to kick it to death anymore . Hey why is it that I can't kickstart my 2007 wr 450 without kicking like 5 times . But I can kickstart my 1991 cr500 the first or second kick everytime?
Is it a four stroke thing that I don't understand?

depends, 4 strokes are more sensitive than 2 strokes. I would start a new thread but i will tell you to make sure your jetting is correct.

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2007 - 01:50 PM

I'm just using the ez button for now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.