Twisted Forks!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • abou_l_simm

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hey guys,

so I was riding my YZ450F in the dunes, breaking it in nice and easy, but as usual...got a little excited and stomped up a steep one thinking the other side was smooth :thumbsup: ...well, it wasn't...

Basically it landed on the front it seems (I don't remember) and the front wheel is slightly misaligned now.

can that be easily fixed? (i.e.: loosen the clamps and re-align, just grab the wheel with my knees and twist the handlebars back...)

Thanks

• rickallen124

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:51 AM

I'd remove everything, tire and forks, get it straight and tighten it back up. You could probably just loosen the triple clamps. You may also want to check your handlebar mounts as they may have twisted. I wouldn't just beat on the tire as everything needs to be loosened up to relieve any binding of bushings etc. Take your time and do it right.

• endurodog

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:54 AM

The trail side fix is either bang it against a tree or kick the tire till straight. I use the kick the tire method.
The correct fix is with the bike on a stand to loosen everything up, align close, spin the front a few times then grab the brake. Re-tighten. As with everything on here there will be some other suggestions I'm sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:07 AM

The trail side fix is either bang it against a tree or kick the tire till straight. I use the kick the tire method.
The correct fix is with the bike on a stand to loosen everything up, align close, spin the front a few times then grab the brake. Re-tighten. As with everything on here there will be some other suggestions I'm sure.

Yeah I'd do this which is exactly what the manual recommends. The trail side fix works in a pinch but you want it done correctly as soon as possible to relieve any binding of the forks bushings.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:09 AM

99% of the time, all you need do is loosen the lower clamps and maybe push the wheel back in line. Then do the same with the bar mounts. Usually, all you have to do is loosen one.

• abou_l_simm

Posted November 10, 2007 - 12:57 AM

Thanks Guys...I figured that's what needed to be done...love the bike...that fall was huge and that's all the damage that happened!!!:thumbsup:

• rexbond007

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:48 AM

i twisted mine this summer, loosened up everything. so there's no binding.
twisted the front tire in the direction to get it straight and re tightened triple clamps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.