Stock Jetting for a 2006 YZ450?

10 replies to this topic
  • duzz10

Posted November 08, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Does anyone have the factory specs for a 2006?

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:14 AM

Do you have a manual? It's all in there.

The '06 came with a 42 pilot, and usually a 165 main. The bike should have been delivered with a 160, 165, and 170 jet, with the 165 being most often installed at delivery. It has an NFPR needle set in the #4 spot

• Ga426owner

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:56 AM

and at stock setting the 42 pj is too lean....needs at least a 45 depending on your altitude
I found the NFLR needle works well on the 06(07/08 needle)
but this is just me and my humbling experience trying to find the jetting sweet spot on a 06:thumbsup:

• duzz10

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:28 AM

The reason I ask is I replaced my 07 exhaust with a 06 exhaust. I had no problems before. Now when you snap the throttle off idle the bike will hesitate or die. I am thinking the 06 specs would be a good point of reference to start tuning at. My bike is supposed to have a 160 main, 45 pilot, and NFLR#4.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:03 AM

I am thinking the 06 specs would be a good point of reference to start tuning at.

Maybe, but I doubt it. The as-issued '06 stumbled fairly badly. My '06's stand at 45/165/NFPR-4, and seem to work really well. Both have DRD pipes, however.

Your original point about header diameter is flawed a little. The '06 may be smaller at the outlet to the mid pipe, but the '07, IIRC, is a stepped header, and behaves differently because of it. If you have the original header, you can use that with the '06 muffler if you swap the mid pipe seal (I think). Could be worth trying.

What will make the stumble go away for sure is having the Zip-Ty carb mod done. Otherwise, your best bet is to work on accelerator pump tuning, and be sure your expectations of how well the bike should respond to the throttle, especially in neutral, are realistic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 09, 2007 - 11:08 AM

the 160 sounds too lean ....try a 165/168/170
Another vote for the ZipTy Carb mod....no more bog
it is going to be trial and error with the 06 pipe.....

• duzz10

Posted November 09, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Maybe, but I doubt it. The as-issued '06 stumbled fairly badly. My '06's stand at 45/165/NFPR-4, and seem to work really well. Both have DRD pipes, however.

Your original point about header diameter is flawed a little. The '06 may be smaller at the outlet to the mid pipe, but the '07, IIRC, is a stepped header, and behaves differently because of it. If you have the original header, you can use that with the '06 muffler if you swap the mid pipe seal (I think). Could be worth trying.

What will make the stumble go away for sure is having the Zip-Ty carb mod done. Otherwise, your best bet is to work on accelerator pump tuning, and be sure your expectations of how well the bike should respond to the throttle, especially in neutral, are realistic.

My original header is in bad shape. I did find a new 07 on ebay for $50.00 buy it now that I went ahead and got. I can sale the 06 later. I did this because I like the way my 07 runs with the stock pipe. It has a nice smooth power band.

• duzz10

Posted November 10, 2007 - 03:44 PM

Well I put my old exhast on so I can ride tomorrow. The same thing is going on. It dies when I snap the throttle, and when I ride it down the street it has a hesitation every time I get on it. It has been fine since I have had it. I did clean my air filter and had my tank off when I put the 06 pipe on. I don't know if something got in the carb either from the air box or where I had the fuel line off. Any ideas on what to check.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2007 - 04:44 PM

If you ran the bike within 4 hours of putting on a freshly oiled element, you may have a blob of filter oil stuck in the air jets in the front (air intake bell) of the carb.

• duzz10

Posted November 11, 2007 - 10:14 AM

I pulled the carb off and went through the whole thing. It looked fine and I didn't see any thing in it. Cleaned every thing and blew it out, put it back on. Every thing fine now, must of been something in there. Who knows, the 06 exhaust might of been ok. It has already sold though and a new 07 is on it's way.

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2007 - 01:03 PM

You very often never do see what it is that you took out of the carb to get it to work. The tiniest thing in the wrong orifice can upset the works pretty badly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.