05 wr450 question

6 replies to this topic
  • tgpatrsn

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I want to get rid of the headlight. Can I replace it with a 05 yz number plate? thanks

• 2grimjim

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:49 PM

Yes, but you will have to relocate the ignition switch and the bracket that holds the electrical connectors.

There is a TSB from Yamaha (on '05 - later WR's and '04 - later YFZ's)addressing a problem with the battery not charging when the headlight is disconnected. The charging system requires the load from the headlight to maintain proper charging voltage to the battery.

There is a ballast resistor that needs to replace the headlight to keep the charging system working correctly.

I'll have to dig up the part no.'s if you want to order them.

I'll have to dig up the TSB

• clark4131

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:52 PM

I don't know about any TSB regarding the headlight and battery issues as I've had my light disconnected for over a year without issue. Also, I didn't have to move the ignition or odometer as I fabricated up a couple of extension brackets out of aluminum bar stock. My plate stands up a little straighter, but you barely notice it...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXJunky

Posted November 09, 2007 - 11:19 AM

MXJunky uses a Cycra front number plate, and does not relocate the ignition switch or the odometer. It actually looks kinda hokie when observed up close, but MXJunky only uses it when he does the MX thing (to avoid smashing the high dollar headlight in case of a lip-skid).

Posted Image

MXJunky has not had any problems with the battery holding a charge, but MXJunky does use a Battery Tender when the bike sits for more than two weeks.

• 2grimjim

Posted November 09, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I don't know about any TSB regarding the headlight and battery issues as I've had my light disconnected for over a year without issue. Also, I didn't have to move the ignition or odometer as I fabricated up a couple of extension brackets out of aluminum bar stock. My plate stands up a little straighter, but you barely notice it...SC

Maybe I'm wrong about the years affected but I know it's for the years that Yamaha did away with the headlight switch.

There were issues with YFZ (four wheeler) owners removing the headlight and the voltage regulator susequently frying itself. I believe the TSB addressed WR owners as well.

The fix was to add a ballast resistor in place of the headlight.

• tgpatrsn

Posted November 09, 2007 - 06:31 PM

could you get me that part #. thanks

• tmckeown

Posted November 11, 2007 - 12:37 AM

I have just put YZ number plate on top of switches. This way you can use it both ways.

Timo McKeown

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.