FI for XR650L 2008?

36 replies to this topic
  • stepho

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:20 PM

I wish It would fit in my XRL. Building these things since 2000 I just recently bought a 2003 XRL and the gears are turning on how I might adapt a old system onto my bike. New system is expensive but the old system might be in the rafters somewhere.Posted Image Hope the picture comes out. Here goes nothin.

• stepho

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:24 PM

Posted Image

Here is anoter picture hold on for one more.

• stepho

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image

AH thats better I will find a better way to upload pictures later. Also will buy a new digcam for xmas (not so blurry):worthy:

• Gilkerson

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:32 PM

Can you get rubber boots that are about a 45 degree angle so that the throttle bodies are facing back to the airbox? I would love to see this project progress.

• stepho

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:54 PM

thinking on using the stock intake manifold and making a single throttlebody. But I do Not know if the old system we used can be fitted and controlled by a current computer.

• tobinbakner

Posted November 08, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Here is a link to a system that should control the fuel injection.
http://www.microsquirt.info/
It would make a cool project. I think the biggest problem would be building the throttle body system. Well that and cost. I would think think a single throttle body would work fine unless you are trying to build a race motor.

Tobin

• martinfan30

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:10 AM

bad ass! are you "D" shaping the exhaust ports? if so, whats your thoughts on doing this? thanks stepho.

• Denn10

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:21 AM

thinking on using the stock intake manifold and making a single throttlebody. But I do Not know if the old system we used can be fitted and controlled by a current computer.

BRO WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING OUT? Keep your ass on here 30 post's CMON help us out. With those pics you have to have a ton of knowledge on these motors!! +1 on the new guy LOL hes bitchen!!!

Where in CA are you? Alligator racing????

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:54 AM

I wonder if that's the same setup Cap'n Midnight is going for?

Dave

• stepho

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:18 PM

Hey guys I know you guys have been waiting to hear from me. Teasing you with pictures like that kind of like when you hear something like "The whole world is going to blow up. New at eleven." But I was at work. Well the owner of the shop is Dan Gurney. Legendary in motosports he has a very big hobby and that is motorcycles. He started with racing bikes when he was younger. always has been a passion. And making bikes is what keeps him young and us old.JK. He built Flat track bikes in the seventies also a couple roadracing bikes as well. All this while building Indy 500 winners, formula one cars, Mopar Trans Am cars, F5000, Can Am, you name it. Going to eat dinner now, I will be back in a bit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:32 PM

bad ass! are you "D" shaping the exhaust ports? if so, whats your thoughts on doing this? thanks stepho.

for you stepho!!lol

• Denn10

Posted November 09, 2007 - 06:55 AM

Wheres the shop in CA?

• stepho

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:20 AM

The shop is in Santa Ana Ca. Sorry guys closed to the public. Its basically a prototype shop. If you really want to see the alligators run Dan and some of us from the shop ride up the ortegas every sunday at about 9 to 10 AM. Stop at hells kitchen and talk with everybody Then blast back down. We ususally bring several versions. A wr450 that weighs 260 lb dry, a S and S vtwin powered gator and of course the good ole thumpers.

• martinfan30

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:26 AM

The shop is in Santa Ana Ca. Sorry guys closed to the public. Its basically a prototype shop. If you really want to see the alligators run Dan and some of us from the shop ride up the ortegas every sunday at about 9 to 10 AM. Stop at hells kitchen and talk with everybody Then blast back down. We ususally bring several versions. A wr450 that weighs 260 lb dry, a S and S vtwin powered gator and of course the good ole thumpers.

cool. so how about the d shaped exh. ports?

• stepho

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I do all the porting on the heads and a d shape did not flow as well at we thought so we went away from it in about 2001

• martinfan30

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:32 AM

crmcc on here swears by it for mid range.

• Denn10

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Steph post some more cool picks when you get a chance theres enough of us BRP HP junkies that will love to drool some more LOL Cool stuff

• stepho

Posted November 09, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hey guys back from work. Anyways here is some more stuff about our bikes. Dan first started the concept in the early 80's by choping up an XL350 lowering the seating position and extending the rear wheel so you can sit in the bike = lower CG and less aero drag. He has always loved the sound of a single. From there the second generation was made by CUTING up two xr600's. This generation moved to a 3rd generation with the xr600 motor with a 675 kit and twin FCR 39's this is the one right here. 80HP at the crank 52ftlb!! handled incredible. Finally we got tired of kickstarting so we decided to go with 650 l motor. Hey lets try fuel injection on the 650l motor but first let make it bigger. Ok sounds good, 706 sounds ok. I was not much into riding. I was more into karting. So just about 4 months ago I bought a friends 2003 xr650l and thought, Hey I have been building the motors since the indycar program ended. It would be cheap to work on I have all the tools and a lot of stock parts that we never use in the bike. So there you have it I love riding now. I love thumpers and I am in the process of sumo'ing this thing hopefully geting around 55hp to the rear. Love having a dyno at work. When you are bored after work you can check your jetting. Buy something aftermarket and see if it really works. White Bros Can, Ported head, stock piston, megacycle cam, and a 40mm fcr = 42.5rwhp. How I found this site was by having a hard time trying to get oil to the cyl head. Our bikes dont have that stupid line that goes from the bottom of the frame to the motor. Stupid Line. All you guys helped me out solved the problem and I thank you all. So without spilling all our speed secrets I can point you guys in the right direction, but I told Dan that I would not tell everything because we had spent hundreds of thousands of $$ trying to have something that is truly original and its always better to have more hp than everyone, even if it is your best friend. thanks guys. stepho

• xrltim

Posted November 09, 2007 - 09:45 PM

I ran into Dan Gurney one Sunday up on the Ortega Hwy. in Socal. He was sporting an Aligator with this FI setup, carbon fiber bodywork, etc. He was in a group of other 'gators that all had different pipe/carb setups. He told me he was getting varied levels of success but 80 hp was about the max from the old air cooled 650L motor. He had a really cool dual carb flatslide setup that went like hell, (accordnig to him) at somewhere around 65 hp. So messing around with the fuel intake is doable. I would suggest hanging out a the Lookout on the Ortega on sundays in the summer and pick the mind of Dan Gurney. He is a really friendly, approachable guy, and don't forget to thank him for the racers chapagne toast he created in 1969 when he whipped the Italians in a Ford GT and sprayed the bubbly at them to rub it in. Seems that tradition stuck....

• flyin vee

Posted November 10, 2007 - 10:42 AM

DG was god back in the 80's. I had one of his pipes one my 1980 yz250. Good to hear that he is interested in thumpers, now let's see how far that L motor can be tweeked. Please keep us posted.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.