3 days in sand, now I need a full rebuild

but why not just shorten the breather tube and have it terminate high enough to prevent ever being stuck in the sand?

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but does anybody know if shortening the hose makes a difference? I have a filter I used on my old quad's breather and would work perfect if I could shorten the hose about 8" and zip tie it to the bottom radiator hose on my 426.:busted:

My thought is as long as it is very well filtered you should be able to put it in whatever configuration you feel like. Any oil that spurts up it will just run back down, that's fine. Just ensure a very solid filter system if you go high and short because anything that gets past the filter will travel down into your engine by gravity and vibration even if there is no suction. I ran mine high and back to the air box. Ran it through between the airbox and seat so no cutting into the air box, then zip tied the assembly to the seat rail side of sub frame. First zip tie is tight, the one further back where it terminates into the filter is just loose enough that I can slide it forward and flop the entire assembly out of my way when working on the air filter. Works good and filter is more protected and about as high as possible for water crossing issues.

I am still debating on location right now...not sure if would like it in the air box because that puts it above the entry into the head, but lower would get into issues with stream crossings (even though I never have and maybe never will be in water that deep!)

Here is what I was thinking:

The Filter I have:

DSC02618.jpg

The location I was thinking:

DSC02619.jpg

I don't think air temp would do anything, negligable anyway, if you do go to that location I would search on outerwear prefilter website to get a filter for the filter. Their filter material was designed originally for that exact type of exposed kn filter. It fits over your filter and is waterproof (or water repelant anyway) and keeps out sand great and most other dirt. As long as it was held away from direct heat so it doesn't melt. It's not like it's in a constant vacume suction like your airfilter so really a variety of setups will work fine. If I never took that bike to the dunes and had never stalled in deep water I likely would have never even known it was an issue.

I am still debating on location right now...not sure if would like it in the air box because that puts it above the entry into the head, but lower would get into issues with stream crossings (even though I never have and maybe never will be in water that deep!)

Here is what I was thinking:

The Filter I have:

DSC02618.jpg

The location I was thinking:

>

i did almost that same exact thing , but the problem i had was oil filling the filter and getting all nast and gunked up quick!

this pic was when i had it really low but i had since moved it above the stator cover.

filter2.jpg

i did almost that same exact thing , but the problem i had was oil filling the filter and getting all nast and gunked up quick!

Well it looks like maybe I'll look into another filter and run it to the airbox then...Thanks for the heads up! I was going to use this same filter just since it was laying around. Might do the T-fitting like in the previous posts of this thread. :busted:

• 3 weeks later...
It WILL suck dirt up the breather hose without the breather being submerged. I don't know if it is from tip overs when the engine is still running or just from dust/dirt being kicked up by the front tire or your foot, but the fact remains that EVERYBODY with an '06 and newer YZ450 should take steps to prevent this as it will dump the grit right into to top of your head. Either reroute the tube to your airbox or intall a filter on the end of the tube.

yeah like i did, if you can find my post about it from way back. i bought a valve breather filter from canadian tire for 12 bucks. looks good works good and i also routed the tube to my air box.

ps i to had sand in my top end. but i flushed it the best i could without removing the head and its good now. i hope XD the filter is a great idea and piece of mind knowing you wont get junk sucked up into your engine

ok so i just got back from riding glamis on my 450 and noticed a clunking sound in the bike. i tore it down to find it was full of sand. i believe everything is still ok i just need to flush all the sand out, what do i use?

maybe someone who knows more about it might say otherwise but brake cleaner works good but mostly for the parts you can see. My head was a little pited when it happened to me - don't know if hand sanding it and the top of the piston is ok with something fine. Last point is once you think you have finally got it all flush it some more. Everytime I did it I got more grit out of it from somewhere but I never split the case (ended up getting a whole new motor)

Does Yamaha really put the breather down on the frame. I like Yamaha but that has got to be the most bone headed move ever. My dirtbike is a CRF250X and it is plumbed into clean side of the filter. They obviously thought about it. I do own a Yamaha Quad I am gonna go look and see if they did anything like that there. (06 Raptor 700). I hope not many other people lose engines.....Very good tips on the PCV filter. Stuff like that makes this website the best.

ok so i just got back from riding glamis on my 450 and noticed a clunking sound in the bike. i tore it down to find it was full of sand. i believe everything is still ok i just need to flush all the sand out, what do i use?
If your engine is in fact contaminated with sand, the only way to really deal with it effectively is to pull it out, tear it down, and clean it out thoroughly. Amy half way measures are an invitation for trouble. If it's a steel bike, be sure to get the tank clean.
Does Yamaha really put the breather down on the frame. I like Yamaha but that has got to be the most bone headed move ever.
I ride the deserts and dunes a lot, and have repeatedly checked the top of the breather tubes of the 4 YZF's I've ridden there. I have never found a trace of grit in it.

• 4 weeks later...