Installing a battery question

I am trying to install a battery to operate my headlight and tail light as well as turn signals and horn. (2001 WR426F)

I need some help with the wiring set up, I am assuming that the leads going to the headlight come directly from the lighting coil via the headlight switch? What I would like to do is hook the battery up inline using those (headlight) leads to keep the battery charged and then hook additional wires to the battery and also supply power to the components via a dual sport switch from Baja designs (controlling the headlight, tail light, turn signals and horn). My question’s are:

(1) does anyone know how much voltage the lighting coil puts out? And is it regulated at precisely 12 volts?

(2) do I need to hook up some kind of voltage regulator to keep the battery from overcharging?

The battery likes to float around 13.2 volts for maximum life and efficiency. If anyone has decent electronics experience maybe you can help me out here?

I have pieced together everything needed to make my WR street legal for a pretty reasonable price and I will gladly share my sources and component list with anyone interested, but basically it has cost me less than $125.00 for everything (not including a regulator should I need it) sure beats the hell out of spending $350.00 + for a Baja Designs kit

Thanks

Scream

I'm sure your lighting coil has enough power to run any extra lights. Light bulbs can run on A/C current which you have now, but a horn can only work with D/C. If you incorperate a battery you will need a recifier to turn A/C into D/C. Your bike has a regulator what stops your bulbs from popping on high rpms. Make it eazy on your self and use someting like I did. I got a 5 dollar smoke alarm, remove the horn and the free battery that comes with it, make a simple braket to hold the horn and 9 V battery, then wire in the horn to a button. Here is a pic of my smoke alarm conversion. It's kind of hard to tell whats what but the horn in held to a L bracket with a hose clamp, the battery has the red tape holding it to the braket. The braket is bolted to the odometer bolt

1horn.jpg

Thanks for the reply but the horn is the least of my problems, California law requires that the lights operate for 10 minutes with the engine stopped, therefore the need for a battery, I was under the impression that the rectifier already installed on the bike converted the AC power from the stator to DC power for the lights? is this correct? The manual does not have a wiring diagram which is a bummer, otherwise I could figure this out pretty easily. Do I need a rectifier? or just a voltage regulator? HELP!

TeamScream,

I love whoop-de-doo's ingenuity! Would like to point out a coupla things, though. A battery big enough to run the lights, especially the headlight, would be too big to mount unless you are installing a rear carrier rack too. Furthermore, your bikes A/C stock stator could not charge it and you would be bound to FRY something. Rectified 12volt DC with a compact, solidstate (NO liquid acid)NiCad battery as a backup to your existing, modified stator (A/C to DC) is what you need and don't have. Save yourself a lot of headaches and perhaps money, in the long run, and contact the good people at Baja Designs. They been there, done that, and wrote the book... ?

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: Chaindrive ]

On my 02 the voltage regulator is mounted on the left side of the frame just infront of the gas tank, it has finns on it and is unpainted aluminum. You don't have an recifier but if you did it would look like a stack of plates about a 1 1/2 square that are spaced apart. the rectifier cutts the top off the A/C sign wave which leaves only D/C current.

chaindrive, Thats funny, hey let me make you feel a little more ignorant J/K. Take a look at this engine bay of my yamaha car, oh I meant honda car. I built this all from scratch. This car had 95 HP stock, it runs about 275 HP now. It is turbocharged, custom wiseco pistons, stroked and bored, eagle H beem rods, custom intake with huge throttle body, water intercooler, the ignition system is a electromotive TEC II, $2500 option. I tune the cars injectors and timing from my lap top while driving

installedgodzilla.jpg

Wow! Talk about about a sleeper! How many panicked looks do you get as you blow past $$$ sports cars? Being a cubic-inch, Chevy Rat and Mouse kinda guy, I enjoyed helping my bro hotrod his Hondo Civic many years ago and was amazed at the results and it was no where near what you have done. Sweet! ?

Originally posted by TeamScream:

I am trying to install a battery to operate my headlight and tail light as well as turn signals and horn. (2001 WR426F)

I need some help with the wiring set up, I am assuming that the leads going to the headlight come directly from the lighting coil via the headlight switch? What I would like to do is hook the battery up inline using those (headlight) leads to keep the battery charged and then hook additional wires to the battery and also supply power to the components via a dual sport switch from Baja designs (controlling the headlight, tail light, turn signals and horn). My question’s are:

(1) does anyone know how much voltage the lighting coil puts out? And is it regulated at precisely 12 volts?

(2) do I need to hook up some kind of voltage regulator to keep the battery from overcharging?

The battery likes to float around 13.2 volts for maximum life and efficiency. If anyone has decent electronics experience maybe you can help me out here?

I have pieced together everything needed to make my WR street legal for a pretty reasonable price and I will gladly share my sources and component list with anyone interested, but basically it has cost me less than $125.00 for everything (not including a regulator should I need it) sure beats the hell out of spending $350.00 + for a Baja Designs kit

Thanks

Scream

Email or call Ritzo (the owner of ElectrexUSA). He is the most knowledgable guy that I know when it comes to stator output stuff. He actually designs stators and lighting coils for manufacturers.

Good luck,

--Steve

not to step on woup-dee-doo but rectifiers of today are small solid state encapsulated squares about 2x2x1/2. when i dual sported my XR400 i got one from a honda 4 wheeler. they have them in 4 wire and 5 wire you will need a 4 wire. the two yellow wires attach to your stator.