My New 2007 XR650L - Major Electrical Problems - Please Help

17 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Well, I brought home my new bike about 3 weeks ago or so. It's got ~400 miles on it now. All I've done to it is change out the tail light, correctly, and do the smog block off. Since new, I've felt the battery was week, in fact my buddy, anxious to give it a ride drained it right when we got it home, trying to start it with the gas off. Got it charged up and rode it later that day.

For a while, it would fire right up after cranking once or twice. Now, I sometimes get an issue where I turn on the key, and no power, so I bump start it, it fires pretty easy, I clutch it and warm it up. When this happened the other day, I pulled the lid off the battery and found a loose terminal bolt. I went to screw it in and it didn't seem to bite, so I put some lock tite on it and put 'er in, that was Sunday. All day Monday, yesterday morning, and at lunch time, the bike seemed fine, all power, lights, fires right up and works fine. Then, I go to get on it after work and the problem is back, so, like po' white trash, I run down the parking lot of my professional building and bump start it. I get it home, check the terminals again, everything is fine, but still no power. I hooked it up to the charger on 2 amp and charge it for several hours. I was ready to go to bed after hours of charging and didn't want to leave it on all night, so I unplugged it thinking it got a decent charge. Pull it out this morning, and turns out, I'm a bump starting fool again in my alley at my condo complex.

What the hell is wrong with this thing? I'll be bump starting again today after work! I'm really starting to think I should be riding this thing around in a tank top and a mullet hanging out the back!!! By the way, when I do bump start it, the headlight functions, but very weakly, and the turn signals are very erratic, the only thing that does seem normal is my LED tail light.

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 08:29 AM

sounds to me like the terminal you tightened on the battery may have become seperated internally from the plates.

the terminals were loose on my 05 when i bought it too.

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:23 AM

sounds to me like the terminal you tightened on the battery may have become seperated internally from the plates.

the terminals were loose on my 05 when i bought it too.

What does that mean, internally? Can I pull the battery and fix it, or do you really mean internally? Do I have to warrantee this? If so, can I just pull the battery and take it in to any honda dealer? I don't want them to see the new tail light, even though it should have no effect, they might be able to get away with telling me to screw myself.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:32 AM

If it runs fine after the bump start, that would tell me the alternator is functioning properly. Not enough power to crank it would tell me either bad battery, connections from battery to starter or ground, or excessive draw from the starter.

• bigredxr

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:48 AM

You have two problems going on. 1. loose connection of the B+ terminal and or the ground. 2. The battery is defective and needs replacement. Change the battery and get off your merry-go-round. Batt. should be a warranty item from Honda dealer. Be nice about it first and all should be good. Hard to be nice after being an a-hole first. Not saying your that type of person , but i'm sure u get my drift. Go luck and ride red.:worthy:

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:54 AM

what i meant was when you said you tightend the terminal down and it didnt seem to bite, you may have overtorqued it. causing the connection from the terminal post to the internal lead plate to become damaged/intermittent.

this would explain the running fine by bump start, and the light work but a little dimmer.

put a battery in it and should be ok. or take it to honda and try to get the battery warrantied. just switch out the taillight so they dont blame it on that.

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 10:34 AM

what i meant was when you said you tightend the terminal down and it didnt seem to bite, you may have overtorqued it. causing the connection from the terminal post to the internal lead plate to become damaged/intermittent.

this would explain the running fine by bump start, and the light work but a little dimmer.

put a battery in it and should be ok. or take it to honda and try to get the battery warrantied. just switch out the taillight so they dont blame it on that.

Thanks for the other replies too guys, I'll check that stuff when I can and if I need to, but I think martinfan is on to something. I think so because sometimes the bike fires right up and all electricals seem fine. It's like something is loose. By the way "I" didn't overtorque it, the thing never tightened down at all the first time I tried. Just wanted to say I'm taking the battery only to the shop, and changing the tail light back to stock is not an option. I cut the wires, and I don't feel like doing that anyway. We'll see how it goes with just taking the battery in. I'll check the multimeter today at lunch, I've got one at work, and I'm riding the bike, despite it's issues.

• Denn10

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:26 AM

take that to the dealer since its only 3 weeks old no doubt!!

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:56 AM

I just hope I get all this worked out before Thanksgiving weekend! It'll be the first time I actually get to ride this thing offroad. Bump starting it on the street works fine, but I'm pretty sure it'd be tough to do it in a sand wash!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:02 PM

me agree with Martinfan 1,000 %

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Just checked the voltmeter, 12.75 engine off. Forgot to take my key out there with me and put the panel back on, though I had no power when I checked after shutting down this morning. That "quick release" panel is kind of a bitch to line up, by the way, as compared to the one on my WR...

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:51 PM

try connecting the voltmeter to the posts on the battery and wiggle the posts as much as you can. just to see if you can create the open i'm thinking you may have.

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:53 PM

try connecting the voltmeter to the posts on the battery and wiggle the posts as much as you can. just to see if you can create the open i'm thinking you may have.

The posts seemed tight, but it was hard to connect the pointers and hold them there if I was trying to do anything else. I'm going to go by OSH tonight and see if they've got a meter with alligators on it!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 07, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I have heard one report of a bad starter motor. maybe you're #2?

Dave

• simon32

Posted November 07, 2007 - 02:42 PM

I really think that it is a bad ground, if the connection to the battery is tight, look at the other end of the ground cable, it may be loose or not making good connection.
Once you have it started, also measure the voltage across the posts, it should be at or around 14V. if it reads less then check your regulator.
good luck.

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I really think that it is a bad ground, if the connection to the battery is tight, look at the other end of the ground cable, it may be loose or not making good connection.
Once you have it started, also measure the voltage across the posts, it should be at or around 14V. if it reads less then check your regulator.
good luck.

Forgive my ignorance, but where is the ground?

Anyway, thanks guys, hopefully we'll get this figured out and don't have to take the bike in...

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Well, thanks to all of you, and you can stop worrying about me riding home in the dark with basically a candle to light the way! I fixed it! Martinfan and Simon, you guys were right. When I locktited the bolt on the negative terminal I should have just done what I did tonight. I pulled the bracket off and pulled the battery out just far enough to see the floating nut that was just out of reach of the bolt, effectively creating that open you were talking about. What a piece, you'd think they would've made the gap small enough to keep that from happening. After tightening it up, I checked the volts again, everything normal, lights on, everything normal, very low drop in volts. Couldn't start it up yet because I'm doing this in my living room, haha, maybe I should break out that tank top anyway...I'm sure the problem is gone and the battery is fine. Will find out Friday, have to use my truck for work tomorrow.

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:14 PM

bdub, glad you found it! i knew in your first post when you stated"it didnt seem to bite", there was something causing the whole prob. right there.

now you are a master XRL electrician! lol:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.