sixth gear

8 replies to this topic
  • tweav

Posted November 07, 2007 - 02:23 AM

Is there anybody out there making a kit ? or just the parts to add sixth gear to a 2007 wr 450?

• 2grimjim

Posted November 07, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Haven't heard of anything like that.

If there WAS a six speed conversion I would be all over it!

It would have to have have the gears made out of some pretty tough material though. The gearbox is pretty crammed into the cased and the gears would have to be quite a bit narrower to get six sets in there.

Do you really need your WR to go over 90 mph?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:05 AM

there is no kit...but whats wrong with a sprocket change...im running 15/48 and i can cruse no problem at 55-70 with out rev'in the bike out. heck i know a couple guys running 15/45. thats whats nice about the wr tranny is 1st is low enough to pull the tall gearing.

• tweav

Posted November 07, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I'm most likely going to swap gears ,but I was wondering if there was a 6th kit I would buy it . it would make the bike a better dual sport

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmarty

Posted November 07, 2007 - 06:48 PM

I know of guys doing that with their KTM's. I believe the SX's can be converted from 4 to 6 speed, but never heard of anyone doing that to a WR.

• Alternative

Posted November 10, 2007 - 03:15 PM

I know of guys doing that with their KTM's. I believe the SX's can be converted from 4 to 6 speed, but never heard of anyone doing that to a WR.

I imagine the SX's and EXC's use the same engine cases so you could put an EXC transmission in an SX. There are no bikes with six gears that use the WR engine cases so you'd have to get the gear clusters custom made which wouldn't be cheap or good for reliability.

• tweav

Posted November 10, 2007 - 09:42 PM

It was just a idea .I knew some bikes you can get differant gearsets .In fact I had a regeared rmx 250 years ago

• tntmo

Posted November 11, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Aren't the new steet legal WR250's coming with six gears? Maybe Yamaha will get their act together and hook up the dirt bikes with the same system.

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2007 - 01:48 PM

I'm almost positive the wr 250 tranny will not fit in the wr450
cases . but it is possible I guess

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.