Grabby Clutch?

7 replies to this topic
  • Nate R

Posted November 06, 2007 - 10:26 PM

I have an 84 XL600R w/ 19000 miles that I just picked up.

The clutch is grabby. SUPER grabby to the point that I can barely keep the front wheel on the ground when it's cold. It's better when warm, but still grabby really bad.

Could this be from a worn basket? Why else would it be ridiculously grabby?

• cleonard

Posted November 06, 2007 - 10:34 PM

Yes, it most likely is a worn basket. It could be a problem with the plates as well. If Honda still has baskets they will be about $300, so getting a used one off of ebay might be worth a try. Look at the photo's carefully and/or ask the seller to be sure you don't just get another worn one. I go a complete clutch in decent condition for my XR600 and it was only about $30 delivered.

• Nate R

Posted November 08, 2007 - 02:03 AM

I suspected as much, so I was watching Ebay. Picked up a complete clutch assembly with barely used plates for $67 today. :worthy:

• absynth01

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Could be a possible "race" clutch and springs. My L has a Barnett setup and cold it is grabby, yet the basket is good. As Cl said more than likely your basket, but still good to open er up and look.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:18 AM

I suspected as much, so I was watching Ebay. Picked up a complete clutch assembly with barely used plates for $67 today. :worthy:

Yer set either way!!!

• Denn10

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:19 AM

too bad OEM baskets dont come with the steel insert where the plates ride like some of the aftermarket OH WELL we can just keep wishing

• crmc33

Posted November 08, 2007 - 02:31 PM

I recently changed the clutch actuator form a XRL to a XR one (along with the gen cover) and the clutch action went form smooth to grabby immediately.

Its worth checking out the actuator and push rod are all operating smoothly before swapping any clutch parts.

HTH

• Nate R

Posted November 08, 2007 - 11:00 PM

Will do, thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.