Hid stock headlight

47 replies to this topic
  • Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:49 PM

I will be selling them for $250 with the custom harness + $19.95 if you need the hi/lo switch.
Is your light already setup for an H4 bulb?

• Randy Nilles

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Everything is still stock

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Everything is still stock

What bulb does the stock headlight come with?

• Randy Nilles

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Stanley Halogen12V35/36.5W

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 04, 2007 - 04:56 AM

Stanley Halogen12V35/36.5W

I need to know which bulb comes in it like H1, H2, H3, H4..........

• SXP

Posted December 04, 2007 - 06:39 AM

I need to know which bulb comes in it like H1, H2, H3, H4..........

H6M on the 07s (going by his sig I believe he owns a 07)

• Randy Nilles

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Yea... its an '07

Thanks Jeff. I think I can build one for less than $250. I appritiate the offer.

• SID013

Posted December 09, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I was at a 24 hour race a couple weeks ago and one guy had converted a KTM halogen stock headlight to a HID. Any one know how to do this, and what modifications it willl take to the stator? I have the '07 Wr 450 and would like to convert mine. I found a website that sells HID components http://fashtek.com/product.html

Any help is appritiated.

Although I didn't need a HID headlight for my WR as I don't do much night riding, thanks to your link to Fashtek I did however buy a HID conversion for my Jeep Grand Cherokee which saved me over $300.00 aussie dollars on what we pay here! Once again Thumpertalk has come through with excellent info for me.

Cheers again for the info. :banghead:

• Randy Nilles

Posted December 11, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Since the Rhino takes and H6 I thought this may work. Should plug right into the headlight housing right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...96503QQtcZphoto

• nobuggybob

Posted December 23, 2007 - 07:39 AM

http://www.kbrowncustoms.com/
This guy has been doing alot of sandrails and offroad race cars for along time, he is also doing alot of the new quads with AC power. If you go to Glamisdunes.com there is alot of happy people with his HIDs. I have four sets from him, He did my Dodge nitro,89 Jeep,98 Jeep,04 ford,98,S-10.
Give him a shout I think he could help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Randy Nilles

Posted May 07, 2008 - 07:26 PM

I ended up buying this kit and installing it. Works AWESOME. Light fits right in housing and ballast and igniter both fit behind numberplate.

Thanks for all your help and good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 08, 2008 - 11:30 AM

I ended up buying this kit and installing it. Works AWESOME. Light fits right in housing and ballast and igniter both fit behind numberplate.

Thanks for all your help and good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

Randy - which color did you get? And $55 shipping on a $25 purchase :p

Do you think this will work well at speed? i.e. competitve at the 25hr?

BTW - Shirts are in the mail today :eek:

Thanks,

Don

• William1

Posted May 08, 2008 - 11:44 AM

I did some research on this. I was going to try one of these colenoid HID bulbs. I discovered the filament placement is less than ideal in a halogen reflector. It does proivde more light but the focus is not so good. I ended up getting a purpose built BD 8" HID. No Hi/Lo but the tilt adjustment is within easy reach and I can change it from 'low' to 'hi' in a second while riding.

• Randy Nilles

Posted May 08, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Don,

I have hot ridden with it at night yet. In the garage it is defitatly brighter and seems to aim well. It looks to be bright enouph for the 25 hour race, and way better that the stock headlight of last year:thumbsdn: . We bounced this off Jon Seehorn before we bought it and he said it looked very similar to his set up last year with the 6000k bulb. I split the cost with Rod and to my door it was $85 didvided by two was $42.50 + my on/off switch $19.99 from Trail Tech. I could have spent $400 on a 8" and this seems to be a much cheeper alternative both cost and astheticly.
Between the headlight and helmet light I am looking forward to riding at night. I will know what it will do after memorial weekend. We plan to do some night riding.:eek:

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 08, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Don,

Between the headlight and helmet light I am looking forward to riding at night. I will know what it will do after memorial weekend. We plan to do some night riding.:applause:

In June we have a night Enduro at Taneum, Jerry Allen puts it on... totally fun, it's just the stumpies at one of our fundays low-key, lot's of beer :p

PM me if you want details, you guys are always welcome at the fire :eek:

• timoyz1

Posted May 14, 2008 - 04:58 AM

I did some research on this. I was going to try one of these colenoid HID bulbs. I discovered the filament placement is less than ideal in a halogen reflector. It does proivde more light but the focus is not so good. I ended up getting a purpose built BD 8" HID. No Hi/Lo but the tilt adjustment is within easy reach and I can change it from 'low' to 'hi' in a second while riding.

By doing just a stator mod, and adding a rectifier, that will power your 8" HID without draining the battery? Also if you don't mind me asking, about how much did the set up cost? The weather is warming up, and I need to gear up for night rides.:thumbsup: Thanx

• atitagain

Posted May 14, 2008 - 07:36 AM

Nilles,
Which bulb did you get...H6 or H6m and did you go for the 5K or 6K? I want to do the same thing with my 07'. Let us know how it works... it looks like a great upgrade!

• jandmsuburban7

Posted May 14, 2008 - 08:34 AM

O.K. guys, I got to bring a little silliness to this thread! What is HID and how does it work. I know you just stated sort of what you did, but could you elaborate a step to step and what product you used and how?? This sounds like something I would like to do but I know nothing about electrical. i.e. what do you mean by "floating the ground". Do you still need the stator upgrade with the HID (i assume not)? I have a 2006 WR450. Just need a little more info to understand what to do here. Thanks, Jason

• Randy Nilles

Posted May 14, 2008 - 04:00 PM

atitagain, I used the H6m bulb and got the 6000k brigthness. I will be riding the next week at night and will be able to tell you how well it works.

Jason, A HID is a High-intensity discharge bulb. Kinda works like a freeway light starts dim and brightens up after it is warm (takes 20-30 seconds). You do not need a stator upgrade except to float the ground and get a new voltage regulator for your bike. Baja Designs has the step by step instuctions on there website and a regulator is $50. I an no electrical genius either and I floated the ground my self. You can send it in to be done fo piece of mind.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted May 16, 2008 - 12:20 PM

Thanks Randy, Sounds good. I still dont understand the float the ground - I assume that the way you describe it is just manipulating the wires a certain way and if I got the kit I would learn that!?! So then, A voltage regulator and the HID bulb. Does this affect the bike adversely in any way? i.e. the starter and charging system? And as mentioned above, do I need to have a different reflector to project light better? I guess you will let us all know after your night ride to give us better info as to whether it is good enough!? Thanks Randy

Hey William,

I ended up getting a purpose built BD 8" HID

Is there a particular brand and how much is your set up and do you have any pics?? Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.