How much oil?

6 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted November 06, 2007 - 12:04 PM

I just got a 1999 yz400 and the clymer manual says i need to put 1.8 quarts of oil into it. However when i put in 1.8 quarts. The dip stick showed that his was too much oil? so how much oil should i put in and im i correct that i fill the oil in at the dip stick in the frame?

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted November 06, 2007 - 12:37 PM

did you start it up and let it warm before checking?????

• jayh300

Posted November 06, 2007 - 12:55 PM

1.8 sounds right. also did you drain the frame and the engine ?
2 different plugs.... and you do start and warm up as posted.
do not screw the dipstick in to check it. and it does fill thru the dipstick hole in the top of the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bhsballer76

Posted November 06, 2007 - 01:11 PM

yes i did start it up and let it run for about 5 minutes before i shut it off nd checked it. It still measuered too much though.

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2007 - 01:46 PM

I just got a 1999 yz400 and the clymer manual says i need to put 1.8 quarts of oil into it.

In the first place, it doesn't (or shouldn't) say that. The system holds 1.8 quarts TOTAL, as in when filled from bone dry after a rebuild. It holds roughly 1.6-1.7 after an oil and filter change, and closer to 1.5 if you change oil without doing a filter.

Secondly, be sure you drain all the oil. The bike is a dry sump system, which is why the oil goes in the frame. You must drain both the frame AND the crankcase drain plugs AND the oil filter well to get the entire 1.65 back in.

Thirdly, the correct procedure for the pre-'03 models is to refill, then run the engine to circulate the operational amount of oil back to the crankcase, THEN check the oil at the stick (engine off, stick inserted, but not threaded). Add if needed to the lower end of the full range, then recheck once the bike is fully warmed up.

• testdriven

Posted August 19, 2008 - 02:17 PM

I was trying to change the oil on my yz400 and can only find the plug on the bottom on the engine just through the hole in the skid plate. I'm assuming this is the engine oil. Where is the frame oil plug? thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2008 - 02:31 PM

On the front of the main down tube, right behind the front wheel, just above where the oil lines connect to the frame.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.