Race start.

74 replies to this topic
  • Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I desert race, and as we all know its a dead engine start. I have a couple of friends on KTM's and Hondas that use the magic button in conjunction with kicking the bike over. They say it minimizes any hesitation with the bike starting, therefor getting a better start. Will this cause any problems with the 07 WR??? Thanks, Jeff S

• mikenash

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:36 AM

No NO don't do that on the yamaha's they will BLOW UP. You just need a real strong thumb and a weak leg to start them.

• redswr

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:43 PM

not sure what mikes talking about... but for me i just kicked it and got the holeshot at the last race.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:56 PM

He was joking with me, I posted this before I read your thread. Nice job on the holeshot, maybe one of these days for me. Jeff S

• rbn14

Posted November 06, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Whatever dude... are we riding tomorrow?

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 06, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Whatever dude... are we riding tomorrow?

Thursday, I still have to repair my radiator after the tree incident this last weekend. Got a job yet?:worthy: Jeff S

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:21 PM

Do you guys do dead engine with hands on helmet? Seems to even things out with those euro trash bikes that start so fast with the button. I have a buddy with a Husky and rekluse and he will get the hole shot every time on dead engine just push the button while twisting throttle and hang on:eek:

For those of you kicking, is the bike in 2nd gear when you do...

I find my bike will kick start 100% first time in Neutral... only about 90% first kick if bike is in 2nd gear... it's a gamble that usually pays off:ride:

• rbn14

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Got a job yet?:worthy: Jeff S

What do you think?

Do you guys do dead engine with hands on helmet? Seems to even things out with those euro trash bikes that start so fast with the button. I have a buddy with a Husky and rekluse and he will get the hole shot every time on dead engine just push the button while twisting throttle and hang on:eek:

For those of you kicking, is the bike in 2nd gear when you do...

I find my bike will kick start 100% first time in Neutral... only about 90% first kick if bike is in 2nd gear... it's a gamble that usually pays off:ride:

We do lots of different goofy stuff; Just sitting on the bike, straddle front or real fender, run to bike, no pants, etc...

I noticed they are giving the wr250 a higher amperage battery for 08, something like this for the 450 would probably make it start as faster

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 09, 2007 - 11:42 PM

I desert race, and as we all know its a dead engine start. I have a couple of friends on KTM's and Hondas that use the magic button in conjunction with kicking the bike over. They say it minimizes any hesitation with the bike starting, therefor getting a better start. Will this cause any problems with the 07 WR??? Thanks, Jeff S

I race my 05. For dead engine starts, if I am on the bike, I put it in second and kick it. I have the hot start lever pulled in when I do. Kicking is easy and works guaranteed everytime. The button can take a couple of cranks if the bike is in gear.

We had a race a few months ago where we were off the bikes and straddling the front fender. We had to mount the bikes, start up and then take off. For that race, I had the bike in neutral. I had my finger on the button while straddling the front fender. When the banner dropped, I hit the button. By the time I threw my leg over the bike, it was already running.

I'd never do a button/kick start combination.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:01 AM

I race my 05. For dead engine starts, if I am on the bike, I put it in second and kick it. I have the hot start lever pulled in when I do. Kicking is easy and works guaranteed everytime. The button can take a couple of cranks if the bike is in gear.

We had a race a few months ago where we were off the bikes and straddling the front fender. We had to mount the bikes, start up and then take off. For that race, I had the bike in neutral. I had my finger on the button while straddling the front fender. When the banner dropped, I hit the button. By the time I threw my leg over the bike, it was already running.

I'd never do a button/kick start combination.

Thats the question, why not do both at the same time? Jeff S

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:38 AM

I've seen guys on KTM's do both at the same time but I don't know if it has any ill effect on a Yamaha to do it. Aside from that I don't think it it will start any faster than just kicking.

Maurice is correct in that the hot start is always pulled in on my start as well...

• Chooch68

Posted November 11, 2007 - 02:04 PM

Kick it in second. Make sure you have slack in both sides of the chain. Not tight on top, not tight on bottom. Sitting right in the middle. Top five off the line every time. Careful with that throttle. It picks up the front wheel pretty easy when your in a hurry.
I have kicked and button started at the same time but the starter dosent seem to keep up with the kick so I dont even use it for race starts anymore.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the info, I got scarred at the last minute trying to kick in second (my YZ would not always start on the first kick that way). Just used the button, I still was 15th to 20th off the line to the first corner. It rained hard the night before, no dust, epic conditions. The top 20 ran togeather for 20 miles before we started to space out. 13th O.A. Best day of racing in a long time. Jeff S

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 12, 2007 - 09:31 AM

On the 2003+ WR450, you can remove the blue/white wire at the CDI, making it start on the first revolution. Without this wire, the CDI thinks you are trying to kickstart, not electric-start... which has 2 or 3 dead revs.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:11 AM

What's the point of doing both. If the kick starts lights it up immediately, then why do the button.

If you try to do both, then the button will negate the kick start. Its a wasted motion. Just try it.

The best thing to do is to go out and practice. Then you'll know what's best for you. What's best for me is to kick. I can't take the chance that the starter will take a couple of rev's to start the bike.

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:25 AM

On the 2003+ WR450, you can remove the blue/white wire at the CDI, making it start on the first revolution. Without this wire, the CDI thinks you are trying to kickstart, not electric-start... which has 2 or 3 dead revs.

REALLY?!?!?!

I can't believe this is the first I've heard of this!

Gonna give it a try, thanks:thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted November 12, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I went out and ran the bike up to temp and then did a few e-starts, a few kick starts and then a few e-starts with the blue/white wire pulled and the bike seems to want to start immediately with the wire pulled ! Anyone with some more positive testing to add to this? Interesting, the Blue/white wire is for the starter circuit cutoff relay, the starter relay and the starter relay diode. I wonder what sort of inverse voltage is generated without the wire connected? WR Dave.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 12, 2007 - 03:38 PM

What's the point of doing both. If the kick starts lights it up immediately, then why do the button.

If you try to do both, then the button will negate the kick start. Its a wasted motion. Just try it.

The best thing to do is to go out and practice. Then you'll know what's best for you. What's best for me is to kick. I can't take the chance that the starter will take a couple of rev's to start the bike.

Maurice, you have better luck then I do. My bike usually starts first kick, but not everytime. My worry comes from more experience racing a YZ then a WR. If I tried to kick my YZ in gear and it didn't fire up on the first kick, I could be still kicking as the amateurs took their place on the line. The original question was, KTM's and Hondas will use the button and kick at the sametime, hence no hesitation with starting, will it hurt the bike doing this. I practiced this last week and I had mixed results. No harm to the bike, I'm just not as fast as the 16 year old next to me. Jeff S

• WR_Dave

Posted November 12, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Sorry Jeff , for the slight hijack, the kicker spins the engine faster than the e-start due to the gearing of the kick lever. Therefore the starter would start the engine turning, then the kicker would turn it faster until the end of the stroke when the starter would again take over. I doubt this would hurt the bike as there is an overrunning clutch on the starter and this procedure would have the engine turning longer and briefly faster. WR Dave.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:49 PM

No problem Dave, thanks for the answer.
I'm more interested in the blue/white wire unplug and any adverse complications, then my original question anyway. Jeff S

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.