xr650r in the baja

21 replies to this topic
  • islandrider55

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:58 AM

hey whats up with the baja this year? how many guys are riding the bigpig? i havnt heard much comment on this years race. can our beloved machine give us another win or are those days over? i hope big red can pull out another one.:worthy: what do ya think?

• cleonard

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:03 AM

Those days are over. Factory Honda races with the CRF450X. I'm sure that there will be several in the race though.

If (when?) KTM beats Honda with the 690, perhaps we will see a larger displacement new red bike.

• akuleboat

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:42 AM

We'll be on one - Class 30. :worthy:

• hill5150

Posted November 06, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Those days are over. Factory Honda races with the CRF450X. I'm sure that there will be several in the race though.

If (when?) KTM beats Honda with the 690, perhaps we will see a larger displacement new red bike.

KTM beat Honda on the 690, that's funny................, KTM can only dream of winning the beloved 1k..............A [COLOR="Red"]stock[/COLOR] 450X would never finish the 1K.

• dezracerE

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:18 PM

[quote name='hill5150']KTM beat Honda on the 690, that's funny................, KTM can only dream of winning the beloved 1k..............[COLOR="Red"]A [COLOR="Red"]stock[/COLOR] 450X would never finish the 1K.[/QUOTE[/COLOR]]

Tires, tubes and a gear-up- it'l finish. (with a qt in the tranny)

• islandrider55

Posted November 07, 2007 - 01:01 AM

hey whats your bike # it will be fun to follow your progress in the race. akuleboat you from hawaii? have fun see ya at the finish.

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2007 - 06:58 AM

I agree with what you are saying but, stock CRF450X has finished the 1K. That came with a complete top end change in the middle of the race. They have done the same thing with the CRF250 for the Baja500. I know it sounds reDICKulous but, they can change the head in no time at all. I think there is more to it........and this is not a winning setup. Most run stainless steal valves to run such a long race but, that isn't stock. I think the main point is the stock CRF450 can't last much over 500 miles without major work to keep going.

All it would take for the KTM 690 to win would be for a major malfunction or crash of #1 Honda, #2, and perfect race for KTM 690 and they could take it. That would be the start of a bunch of "See I told you KTM is better" :worthy: It would be the end of life as we know it.

KTM beat Honda on the 690, that's funny................, KTM can only dream of winning the beloved 1k..............A [COLOR="Red"]stock[/COLOR] 450X would never finish the 1K.

• Denn10

Posted November 07, 2007 - 07:30 AM

interesting i cant imagine having to pit to do a top end LOL 1k miles is ALOT for a 450 running that hard.

• motopat651

Posted November 07, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I own and love a XR650R,but KTM will beat Honda!Just look at their performance in the Dakar.Sales were falling off on the 650 so Corporate Honda decided to scrap it and promote the 450x.When Honda gets beat we will see another big bore from Big Red.

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:52 AM

I own and love a XR650R,but KTM will beat Honda!Just look at their performance in the Dakar.Sales were falling off on the 650 so Corporate Honda decided to scrap it and promote the 450x.When Honda gets beat we will see another big bore from Big Red.

There are roughly 3 people at "corporate Honda" who even care that Honda is in Baja. Once they go away, that's it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted November 07, 2007 - 10:22 AM

We'll be on one - Class 30. :worthy:

I too hope you win your Class - show 'em what a pig is capable of :worthy: :worthy:

• hill5150

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:46 PM

[quote name='motopat651']but KTM will beat Honda!

When? We're still waiting...........:worthy:

• motopat651

Posted November 07, 2007 - 06:21 PM

There are roughly 3 people at "corporate Honda" who even care that Honda is in Baja. Once they go away, that's it.

Exactly my point.KTM is a racing company,where as Honda is a motorcycle co.For the most part race wins help drive KTM sales,because their main market is the hardcore rider/racer.Just take a look at who runs KTM most are former racers,they are chomping at the bit for that feather in their cap.

• nickreal

Posted November 07, 2007 - 07:42 PM

I hate to admit it but my next BRP might be a B Orange P...

• weskc35k

Posted November 08, 2007 - 12:04 AM

Wether you like it or not Bruce the world will end as we know it one day.
The CR500 bless her soul won our premiere Desert race 12 years straight then you guessed it an Orange bike won in 03, and worse it was my mate the carpet layer ,old Griffo on a 2 year old 520 bored out to 570 KTM,and life as i knew it sucked.
Honda has won it since then 4 years straight on the CRF/CRFx mix,life is as it should be again.

• BWB63

Posted November 08, 2007 - 07:09 AM

I agree but, it will have to be something new from KTM to win out right, bike against bike. This CRF450 that Honda is using is not a true honda that someone can buy. A KTM 525 with the right suspension should be able to beat a CRF450, this KTM Baja 690 is a joke. I beleave that there is lots of room for KTM to beet this CRF450.

• akuleboat

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:35 AM

hey whats your bike # it will be fun to follow your progress in the race. akuleboat you from hawaii? have fun see ya at the finish.

We are 308X. I am riding with a great team that has a lot of experience down in Baja and some pretty good success. I preran for 9 days last week and I think we are ready. I leave Saturday to go back and get registered and start heading south for my sections. The class 30 Oneal team is going to be strong, his team includes his son and Mouse McCoy. 303X should be a strong team too.

Islandrider you are the first one to ever pick up on my name. My mom is Hawaiian - Kauai. My uncles run an Akule Fishing boat there that I have worked on during the summers. I am going back in December for a surf trip.

We are hoping to represent with the BRP.

• weskc35k

Posted November 08, 2007 - 11:50 PM

I thought it was about a Russian submarine the Akula shows what i know.
Good luck A-cool boater.

• BOLT Performance

Posted November 09, 2007 - 12:30 AM

Exactly my point.KTM is a racing company,where as Honda is a motorcycle co.For the most part race wins help drive KTM sales,because their main market is the hardcore rider/racer.Just take a look at who runs KTM most are former racers,they are chomping at the bit for that feather in their cap.

Honda is a car company way ahead of being a power sports company. I fear they are permanently OUT of the game.

• miguelitro

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:20 AM

I'm going to pull the trigger here soon on a new(ish) BRP. After riding just about everything from KTM to honda x's and r's in the 450 size, i just cant rationalize not trading my current BRP for a newer one to tinker with. I relly like coming back from a long baja ride listining to other's maintainance lists. Mine is oil and filter:D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.