08 450 review and question

3 replies to this topic
  • soudry

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:02 PM

took it out and broke her in this weekend, and the thing is a blast.
it hendels amazing and i love the tourqe(coming of a yz250)
cant wait to get on it hard next weekend
my question is this.
i'm new to 4 strokes, is it normal that somtimes the kick start feels like there is no compretion when trying to kick start the bike?
when it happend i just pushed the bike like a foot and then the kick start felt normal.

• freerideyz250

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Mine does it as well. Not sure of the technical description of it, and I am sure grayracer will fill you in on that. I beleive it is because when you are kicking it, it is in the middle of the stroke, on the non compression stroke, so when you kick it, you get the piston moving faster and easier due to the lack of compression when you are trying to get the kick going.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2007 - 10:46 AM

A two-stroke has a compression stroke every revolution. A four-stroke has one only every other revolution. They take four stokes of the piston to complete one operational cycle, which is why they are so imaginatively named "four-stroke cycle" engines. If you catch the crank on the power stroke, you'll turn the engine 1 1/2 turns before hitting compression again.

• soudry

Posted November 06, 2007 - 02:16 PM

thank you for the answer

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.