Chain guide problems

6 replies to this topic
  • Quickrik

Posted March 26, 2002 - 06:52 AM

In six months of riding my WR, I have gone through (literally) TWO standard chain guides. They just wear through so quickly and then start wrecking my swingarm. Is this normal? Is there some reason this is happening(worn chain, incorrect rear suspension settings)? or can you get a tougher guide?

• skippy

Posted March 26, 2002 - 10:45 PM

Everybody I know has the same problem with the wr's. Chain tension is cridical. The first thing to do is to LIGHTLY grind down the weld under the chain guide.It makes the guide sit up too high in one spot & the rest of the guide dos'nt wear out as fast.I have looked for aftermarket guides but haven't found any yet. I brought some wear resistant plastic [teflon] 10mm X 50mm & cut it to shape useing a jigsaw. I only replaced the top half because the under side dosn't wear.I had to cut the original guide flush with the top of the swingarm to fit the new piece. If anybody knows of some aftermarket guides could they let us know

• The_Missile

Posted March 27, 2002 - 02:51 AM

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago, do a search.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carbonfiberco

Posted March 27, 2002 - 03:46 AM

We have aftermarket chain guide supports made from carbon fiber. So far, havent heard of any problems with them (been making these supports since 1996). We also offer a 15% discount until March 31 for you TTers on any cofi problems. check out the link below.

Carbon Fiber Works, Inc

• YAMAKAZE

Posted March 27, 2002 - 04:17 AM

Mine must be the exception, I just changed my swingarm guard and chain guide insert for the first time...(3) years worth of wear. The upper guard had a chain trail cut into it but not through, and the Giude insert was worn doen paper thin. I guess being fanatical about Chain Freeplay and alignment have worked out much better than I had thought. I almost bought the TY-Davis Guide and Insert as they are supposed to be the best of the best, but in the end replaced with stock as they seem to be working for me.

Bonzai :)

• crazyadam

Posted March 27, 2002 - 05:48 AM

I just talked to TM designworks yesterday!
they are working on a buffer(front of swingarm)
that does not require the swingarm to be removed!
(hopfully) they also told me that because they are CNC machined, that each "run" has minor improvments!... to quiet them, and for a better fit omn the swingarm! sounded good to me!

I just ordered the buffer and guide, and will post results when I test them!

www.ziptyracing.com

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2002 - 05:57 AM

I am with YamiCasi on this. I have never had any issues with premature chain guide wear on my WR or 4 YZF's....chain tension is critical.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.