Opinions on hand guards?

15 replies to this topic
  • Yamahazuki

Posted November 05, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Just busted my left hand guard this weekend. I'm looking for new guards, but don't want to spend more than about 50-70 dollars. I drop/wreck a lot in mostly rocky terrain. Anyone got any input/recomendations?...aside from "stop wrecking."

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:16 PM

How about "search". I use Acerbis Rally Pro on my bikes, they take a beating. You can find them on ebay for about $66-69.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Birdy426

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:00 PM

I like the Cycra Pro-Pack...at 90 bucks (if you shop around), they are little more than you said you wanted to spend, but they are darn near indestructable,, and drop down as they leave the bars so they are not as likely to break your wrist in an endo.

• xrmarty

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:20 PM

How about "search". I use Acerbis Rally Pro on my bikes, they take a beating. You can find them on ebay for about $66-69.

Posted Image

Posted Image

+1 for Rally Pro. Toughest handguards I've ever seen.

• matt4x4

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:32 AM

I use the same Acerbis Rallye Pros and just love them, they're real tough.
I just bought my wife a pair of IDENTICAL knockoffs which sell on ebay for 30-40 bucks, I can't remember the brand - "something sport", by identical, I mean identical to the last nut and bolt.
I have yet to see how they stand up to abuse since they're a Christmas present, the only thing I could possibly see is that the plastic won't hold up as well, but in all likelyhood, they're made by the same factory using the same materials - heck, maybe it's just a blemish thing that Acerbis won't accept n QC.

Acerbis:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

Knockoff:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:17 AM

I have Cycras on one bike and Moose on the other. Both work well though the Cycras offer a bit more room for your hands. I have the Moose Handguard

http://www.mooseraci...t_group_id=5351

and the Competition Hanguard Protector

http://www.mooseraci...t_group_id=5353

As memory serves I think it was around $70 for both. The nice thing with the Moose is they sell models for both standard bars and 1 1/8":thumbsup: With the Acerbis you get standard mounts and have to spend another $25 - $30 for oversize mounts if you need them:thumbsdn: Bottom line if you're on a budget the Moose guards will fit the bill but if you have a little extra get the Cycras .

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:32 AM

I have Cycras on one bike and Moose on the other. Both work well though the Cycras offer a bit more room for your hands. I have the Moose Handguard

http://www.mooseraci...t_group_id=5351

and the Competition Hanguard Protector

http://www.mooseraci...t_group_id=5353

As memory serves I think it was around $70 for both. The nice thing with the Moose is they sell models for both standard bars and 1 1/8":thumbsup: With the Acerbis you get standard mounts and have to spend another $25 - $30 for oversize mounts if you need them:thumbsdn: Bottom line if you're on a budget the Moose guards will fit the bill but if you have a little extra get the Cycras .

+1 for the Moose handguards (exact same setup as PBDBlue). The Competition Handguard protectors are flexible plastic that are a good combination with the Aluminum handguard. The strong aluminum there to take the serious hit without any fears of cracking the plastic protectors.

• kskyles

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:21 AM

i can appreciate the fact that you are on a budget....but in my experience, i found that handguards that mount to the triple clamp are better than the alternative. i used rally pros for a couple years and bent them quite a bit. they also came loose on a regular basis. i'm not sure if it was a mounting issue, or materials. i switched to the triple clamp mounted cycra pro-bends last year, and i've been really happy.

i think most handguards that are considered bark busters are better than none, but i'm glad i forked out the extra $$ for the cycras.

good luck on your choice. you've got some good products out there to choose from.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2grimjim

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:04 PM

I know the Cycra's w/triple clamp mounts are spendy but they are hell for stout and don't twist when they hit the ground.

The extra money you spend on handguards that bolt to the triple clamps instead of clamping to the bars will be well spent when you look at the cost of a front brake master cylinder.

• mvryder

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Fastway!!!! They mount to replacement bar clamps. Best money I ever spent. So clean, and no doubt stronger than anything that mounts to the triple clamp. The tipple clamps are not for that kind of load. The bar clamps were.

• Nostalgic

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:43 PM

Cycra Alloy Probends. I will NEVER own anything else. LOVE them!

• Yamahazuki

Posted November 07, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. Got a good bit to go on now.

• Charles De Mar

Posted November 08, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Fastway!!!! They mount to replacement bar clamps. Best money I ever spent. So clean, and no doubt stronger than anything that mounts to the triple clamp. The tipple clamps are not for that kind of load. The bar clamps were.

I threw away my moose guards for fastways! Best money spent unless you don't want handguards!

• MXJunky

Posted November 09, 2007 - 11:32 AM

MXJunky had bad luck with the Ah-Chair-Bees Rally Pro guards, they pretzeled within the first 25 yards that MXJunky rode with'em (slippery/wet off camber root deflected the front wheel).

Posted Image

MXJunky just uses the MX type plastic guards these days.

• Charles De Mar

Posted November 09, 2007 - 02:04 PM

MXJunky had bad luck with the Ah-Chair-Bees Rally Pro guards, they pretzeled within the first 25 yards that MXJunky rode with'em (slippery/wet off camber root deflected the front wheel).

Posted Image

MXJunky just uses the MX type plastic guards these days.

There you go talking pretzels again!

• FastRides

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Another vote for the Cycra's - they're bomb proof (Nevada is all rock).
IMO buying hand guards for a bike is a bit like choosing speakers on a new stereo system - not where you want to go cheap. My advice is to spend a little over what you're targeting to get a good set that you won't have to replace over and over. A few listed here probably fit that description. Good luck! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.