Cosmetic changes to my XR600R

10 replies to this topic
  • sploogemonkey

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:25 PM

I've got a '00 600R with the stock plastic on it.

I've done some researching and found that some people recommend running the XR400R front fender because it has a shorter "tail" section and a flatter front portion. The shorter tail part should let more air get to the head, right? Anybody tried this? is there a better looking/fitting option out there, Ascerbis maybe?

How about the rear fender?

Even though I'm used to seeing XR600Rs with the duckbill rear fender, I'm planning on switching to a flatter profile MX style like the CRF450 has. Any recommendations on best fit?

I never ride in mud, so this combo should be fine.

Opinions?

• Brtp4

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:29 PM

The Acerbis Teknik front works well, and fits perfect. YOu can see it on the pics in my garage.

BP

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:39 PM

xr400 front (accerbis), crf 450 rear(ufo). the xr 400 red is the same as the 650. the crf red is bighter.

Posted Image

• sploogemonkey

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Both of those bikes look really clean with the "flat" rear fender! I'm definitely going to make the change.

Martinfan, is it a direct bolt on, or do I have to do any drilling or cutting with the UFO plastic?

I was planning on taking my rear fender off and taking it to the bike shop with me to compare the bolt hole patterns and see how much modification may be necessary. I just want it to be straight and rigid, not crooked and loose. I hear enough about that from the wife already.:worthy:

• sploogemonkey

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:51 AM

I picked up an Acerbis CRF rear fender, but didn't like the way it looked, so I returned it and picked up their universal NOST fender.

Haven't hooked it up yet, maybe today?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 11, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Both of those bikes look really clean with the "flat" rear fender! I'm definitely going to make the change.

Martinfan, is it a direct bolt on, or do I have to do any drilling or cutting with the UFO plastic?

I was planning on taking my rear fender off and taking it to the bike shop with me to compare the bolt hole patterns and see how much modification may be necessary. I just want it to be straight and rigid, not crooked and loose. I hear enough about that from the wife already.:thumbsup:

the bolt holes on the sides of the fender line up with the 650L frame.

just need to do a lot of trimming and test fitting to get it to fit the way you want it.

• fc501

Posted November 11, 2007 - 10:17 PM

heres mine...
http://i214.photobuc...01/DSC00405.jpg

• sploogemonkey

Posted November 12, 2007 - 05:07 AM

martinfan30,

The rear bolt holes lined up also on the first Acerbis I picked up, but the contour of the molded part of the fender that was designed to fit the seat of the CRF just looked kind of funky to me. I already knew that I would have to cut and trim the rest of the fender to fit, but it just didn't look right. The NOST fender I got instead looks like it will have a smoother transition with the seat.

fc501,

That A-Loop kit looks sweet! I checked out their website and saw that they sell a Maier rear fender that is supposed to fit perfectly on the 600R, but I've already bought an Acerbis NOST that looks like it'll be easy to mount.

Thanks.

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:05 AM

i have a pro moto billet cargo rack that hides the contour of the fender.
not noticeable.

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2007 - 10:06 AM

heres mine...
http://i214.photobuc...01/DSC00405.jpg

nice xr. thats a cr rear fender.

• sploogemonkey

Posted November 12, 2007 - 11:07 AM

i have a pro moto billet cargo rack that hides the contour of the fender.
not noticeable.

I thought about that too. It looked like a tool bag would cover up the transition between the seat and fender, but I'm planning on removing the tool bag all together.

I like the look of your fender better than the fender I got (yours has a flatter appearance), but the shop I went to didn't have UFO plastics, and the Acerbis just gapped too much without using spacers and some serious cutting and re-shaping.

The cool thing is that the NOST fender matches the color pretty well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.