How do you diagnose a rear shock?

4 replies to this topic
  • turbowhine

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:48 AM

I suspect that I've damaged the rear shock on my '94 XRL. I noticed a very light oil leaking down the left side of the swingarm while the bike was on it's side stand. The settings are stock. I rode 2up just a few miles the other day and fear that I overloaded the rear. How can I tell if the suspension is damaged?

The action seems fairly smooth, and I notice a whoosh of air when pumping the rear, and I see a tiny bit of oil at the base of the shock.:worthy:

• Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:17 AM

if you have oil leaking out then its time to have it rebuilt with new seals and oil. If thats stock and never had a rebuild from when it was made in 94 then that oil inside will be all broken down. Get it done and dialed in with the correct spring for your weight and youll definitely feel much better riding it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 11:28 AM

+1 on denns post.

• jaredc28

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:45 PM

+1 on denns post.

if you have oil leaking out then its time to have it rebuilt with new seals and oil. If thats stock and never had a rebuild from when it was made in 94 then that oil inside will be all broken down. Get it done and dialed in with the correct spring for your weight and youll definitely feel much better riding it.

How much is a rebuild of a rear shock? Ballpark...

• Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 03:04 PM

id say under $100 ive had em done for arund $75, the price of the seal will change it if there hard to get or just priced more than others

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.