My predicament. What would you do?

13 replies to this topic
  • Climber

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:50 AM

Currently, I have an 06 YZ450. I want another bike to help absorb the hours and serve as a backup for racing next season.

Would you buy a 2stroke or another 06 450. There are 06 450s showing up for ~$3500-$4500. 07s for $4500 up, in all brands. And 05 yz250 2ts for $2500 to the moon.

Would it be good to try another brand for the different characteristics, like the better turning of the RMZ, etc.? I rode an 08 CRF450 the other day. That is why I'm thinking of other types/brands. I won't drop for another new bike.

Variety or duplication???????

• SRT426

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:58 AM

My opinion is that you should buy a bike similiar to what you have now. Switching from a 4 stroke back to 2 stroke will cause confusion in your riding style (my opinion). You should practice with what you race and visa versa so no matter which your ride there won't be any chance of a crash due to forgetting to clutch out of a corner or the fact that your pracitce bike pulls better so you can hit an gear higher in one spot but the race bike has to be in a lower gear. I hope I make sense.

• Yamahafan

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:12 AM

I would vote another 06 YZ450F. It is nice to have interchangeable parts if you ever need them and maintenace is simplified. Get one with different colored plastics so your wife doesn't know you have two of the exact same bike.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:30 AM

unless your into hard core racing liike expert level then i would get a 2 stroke just for fun. i got a 06 yz 450 that i love but i got a 07 yz 250 2stroke for my woods bike and i hate to say it my 450 has been sitting for a little while:bonk: but as soon as i fix my bearings in the 450 i will be ridiing it just as much..

also theres a lot of parts that are still interchangeable with the 06 yz 450 and the 07 yz 250.

suspension front and back
wheels
brakes
air filters

and i think there is some more but i havent tryed it yet...

good luck on your choice and let us no

• Climber

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:30 AM

I tore my truck down to the frame and my wife did not notice.:***:

My original thought was to stay with duplication for the above mentionend reasons. But "Variety is the spice of life". And, a 2t is cheaper to miantain. But, there are equally valid reasons for two of the same.

• Climber

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Thinking that I will hold off, save my money up and get rid of the other two bikes. This will give me time to decide what to do...buy a piece of land with all my money or an 08 with some of it.

• matts06yzf

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Thinking that I will hold off, save my money up and get rid of the other two bikes. This will give me time to decide what to do...buy a piece of land with all my money or an 08 with some of it.

Damn land must be cheap there if u can buy some with the money from 2 used bikes. Shit is 100 grand an acre to live in a subdivision here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Would a 250F make a good practice bike? They handle similiar, but they have less power. I would think that practicing with a 250F would help you ride the 450 more aggressively. Just a thought...

• maddogyz250f

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Would a 250F make a good practice bike? They handle similiar, but they have less power. I would think that practicing with a 250F would help you ride the 450 more aggressively. Just a thought...

I feel the opposite is true. I ride my 250F much faster after a few motos on the 450F especially on a small tight track.

• 642MX

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:32 PM

On a small tight track I can see where a 250F would be an advantage, but I'm thinking that you have to try harder to ride a 250F on a MX track, so when you hop on the 450 you'll still want to attack the track, similiar to riding a 250F. But maybe not......

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:22 PM

As an hour eater, the 250F isn't a good choice. They wear out faster because they spin faster.

IMO, buy another '06 and set it up as nearly exactly like your race bike as you can. Do your practicing and your play riding on the same bike (in effect) that you race. You will know it inside and out, and it will be as natural as your favorite pair of sneakers.

• Wiz636

Posted November 07, 2007 - 02:06 PM

On a small tight track I can see where a 250F would be an advantage, but I'm thinking that you have to try harder to ride a 250F on a MX track, so when you hop on the 450 you'll still want to attack the track, similiar to riding a 250F. But maybe not......

I agree. A 250F or a 125 pinger make excellent practice bikes as they force you to ride correctly and carry speed into corners. You can't be lazy on them like you can on a 450F

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted November 07, 2007 - 06:56 PM

As an hour eater, the 250F isn't a good choice. They wear out faster because they spin faster.

IMO, buy another '06 and set it up as nearly exactly like your race bike as you can. Do your practicing and your play riding on the same bike (in effect) that you race. You will know it inside and out, and it will be as natural as your favorite pair of sneakers.

I'd recommend doing what grayracer says. If I had the money, that's what I'd be doing with my 07.

• Climber

Posted November 08, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I agree. A 250F or a 125 pinger make excellent practice bikes as they force you to ride correctly and carry speed into corners. You can't be lazy on them like you can on a 450F

I have been practicing on a 125 and it does make me a more aggresive rider. It gets me out of the routine of riding my 450 like it is an old flh with ape hangers on it (ie., it gets me over the bars with my head forward).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.