In search of WR info

6 replies to this topic
  • cdanna

Posted January 29, 2001 - 12:49 PM

Hi all, this site has been great to check out and has already answered many questions. I havent raced or even ridden all that much in the past five years and I want to get back into riding, probably not racing. My last two bikes were a modified 91'XR 250 and a 91' KTM 300 e/xc. I am about 6'1" and 220, my question is do you think that the WR is the best bike for someone interested in all kinds of riding, but not racing? Can I play ride with a bike like this or is it an all out racer? Are they reliable( remember I owned a bullet proof XR 250) My last question concerns a friend who has very little riding expierience and wants to start, is a WR too much, or could he use caution and learn with this bike and then grow into it? ( he is about 6' and 170lbs) Thanks all, any other info you want to share would also be appreciated. Thanks

• robman

Posted January 29, 2001 - 03:08 PM

wouldn't recommend it for beginners.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted January 29, 2001 - 06:35 PM

I started from scratch on a 00'WR. The bike is tall (especially for a non-swarthy type such as myself) and top heavy. But it's taken everything I've been able to throw at it. I would rather pay my dues on a high performance bike (assuming it survives the learning curve) than going through 2 or 3 bikes. But then again maybe I could lease the bikes........... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR400inOZ

Posted January 29, 2001 - 08:19 PM

I went from a WR200 (2 stroke) to a 2000 model WR400. The first thing I noticed was the far greater height (im 5'10) but yet this bike is really nimble and easy to throw round... I was in two frames of mind when thinking about buying the 400(much bigger bike than the 200) kind of deliberating over the fact it might have too much power...but now looking back...its the best decision I ever made. You have to put it in perspective. Do you go for the far less powered bike (XR400 or 250) which would be great... for the first few months...but it does not take long to get used to the power fact once you get used to the bike you would never look back. (except to look at the guys laggin behind on the honda's :)

For a beginner... well I supose it depends on how big your gonads are?

It's not an outright racer... its an enduro machine purpose built and based on the YZ motorcross bike to give the trail riders ultimate pleasure! Wind the throttle round slowly, you go slow... give it **** ... and it will beg for more.

From all the post's of read on here reliabilty seems to be great..but it will only be as reliable as your service schedules....bottom line is..the japs dont F@#$ around when it comes to quality machines. Coming to a WR forum might be a bit biased.. but I was on the fence once too...looking at all the available options.. and to put it simply.. I took the best option of buying the best bike for me.

• yamahalic

Posted January 30, 2001 - 03:04 PM

I bought a 2001 WR 426. When I called dealer to order a WR250F, dealer talked me into going with the larger bike. Even though we have alot of tight trails here, I am now glad that he did.I went from a slightly modified 96 XR250R and was afraid that the 426 would have too much speed for me. I picked up bike on 1-15 and have about 120 trail ridden miles on it. I like it alot. I would not recommend it to a beginner.
Bike is tall and extremely fast. You can make a mistake real easy and get hurt.After 4 years of production This motor design has had a bulletproof reputation. Not unlike the XR's. I would recommend the 96 or newer XR 250R for your pal.Good Luck with your decisions.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2001 - 11:05 PM

somebody needs to look up the definition of ... swarthy.

• Bill

Posted January 31, 2001 - 03:40 AM

Swarthy= dark skinned

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.