More FMFQ4 Problems.. Warrenty?

After 35 years of riding, I have learned that 9 times out of 10, the OEM parts are superior to after market parts in terms of quality construction, materials, fit and finish. The one exception for exhaust systems is MRD Racing. They warranty their exhaust systems for life and that includes repairing or replacing crash damaged systems.

I've never been impressed by any PC or FMF exhausts. They always fit like crap and they never last as long as the stock parts.

If FMF does warranty the system, I suggest that you sell it as new and replace it with a stock or MRD exhaust.

After 35 years of riding, I have learned that 9 times out of 10, the OEM parts are superior to after market parts in terms of quality construction, materials, fit and finish. The one exception for exhaust systems is MRD Racing. They warranty their exhaust systems for life and that includes repairing or replacing crash damaged systems.

I've never been impressed by any PC or FMF exhausts. They always fit like crap and they never last as long as the stock parts.

If FMF does warranty the system, I suggest that you sell it as new and replace it with a stock or MRD exhaust.

Thanks. I'm disappointed with the quality of this system.. it wasn't cheap. I bought the Q4 specifically to quieten the bike for our local tracks... sound is a big issue around here. I went with the Q4 because of all the positive things people had to say about it.. wish I had the same luck they did.

Has anyone else here had problems with FMF exhausts? How is there customer service?

I have had many problems wih the power core 4. When it finally showed up at my doorstep, I was pumperd. Come to find as I was installing it, they had given me an honda strap rather than a yam, to hold the muffler to the frame. I called and they sent me another strap for free. Turns out this strap was incorrect as well. When I finally got the strap and rode the bike, the spark screen blew out of the pipe in an hour. Sent it in and broke the screen again. This happened twice more and told them to shove the pipe up, well you know where. Then I went to WB and have no probs. Sorry for long post.

I wonder if the pipe was under stress from mounting it in the first place.

No, but that would make sense. The mounting was perfect. I actually really liked this pipe, very disappointed that it broke. It sounded much better than stock, fit and finish was decent and worked perfect without jetting changes.

I've never been impressed by ... FMF exhausts. They always fit like crap and they never last as long as the stock parts.

I've never had any problem with them other than their price. The Ti4 on my '03 was there when I got the bike in early '04, and is still in good shape.

I also don't think that your 90% negative opinion of aftermarket equipment is accurate. Certainly, there is a lot of junk available, but on the subject of exhausts alone, as I have already said, I disagree that FMF is below par, and DRD systems are at least as well made as the stockers, as far as I can tell.

Given that failures such as this are not at all common, or at least not commonly reported, I'd guess they were the exception, rather than the rule.

Amen to that, both times i've installed full FMF systems, one Ti, one SS, i've had to spend hours either heating and bending or hogging out the pipe joints with an air sander to get them to fit properly or not hit radiator/frame etc. I'm pleased with their look/sound but durability is suspect and fit and finish or quality control is less than perfect. Just my two cents.

I've had really good luck with FMF exhausts. I have a Ti-4 with the powerbomb header on my bike and we have a Q2 on my wifes bike.

Both have been on the bikes for over 2 years with no problems. My wifes Q2 has some dents on it and its been 'crash tested' over and over again, but its not broke yet....

Now I've had exhausts that didn't hold up. My wifes stock muffler wouldn't quite take the abuse she can give it. It mangled really easy. I had a Yoshimura RS-3 system that broke the core and then the strap broke. After dealing with Yoshi, I can tell you I won't be buying any more of their products.

I think FMF's quality is top notch. If I had a problem with a FMF product, I'd call them and explain the situation. And remember you catch more fly's with honey than vinegar.

Sounds like 02YZ426 may have gotten a lemon. The poor welding sometimes slips through. Hey, we're human, we make mistakes.

I will say that I ran an FMF TiPowercore 4 on my old CRF450X and never had any issues with it. It fit well, mounted up perfectly, and stayed intact through some good crashes.

I'd call FMF and explain the problem. Maybe they'll give you a new exhaust free.

*UPDATE*

I called FMF today, their customer service seems to be top notch at this point. They gave me a RMA # and said to return it for warrenty :worthy: The didn't guarantee me a new pipe, but either a repair or replacement. Only downside is that CA is about as far away from my door as it can get.. so shipping will likely be between $50-75 :worthy: But a least they are looking after me :worthy:

Only downside is that CA is about as far away from my door as it can get..
Oh, quit whining and be glad you don't live in Nova Scotia. Besides, Californians treat Canadians OK, it's those guys from Arizona we don't like. :worthy:

JK! :worthy:

But seriously, see what happens when you give a reputable company the chance to step up?

Have had lots of FMF products in the past and never a problem.

I couldn't tell anyone what FMF's customer service is like because I've never had to call them.

Every manufacturer has defective products slip through, it's just a fact of life. My '06 YZ450 had the bleeder hole in the fork cap drilled in the wrong spot on one of the fork caps. I couldn't bleed air out of the right fork if my life depended on it. I just drilled it in the right spot and put it back together. I'm not going to make a federal case out of something like that.

I did notice on your pic that the Q4 pipe you have is a one piece muffler/midpipe type. The Q4 Ti I bought for my '06 YZ450 is two pieces; midpipe slips into the muffler. I would like to know if your replacement is made this way.

Have had lots of FMF products in the past and never a problem.

I couldn't tell anyone what FMF's customer service is like because I've never had to call them.

Every manufacturer has defective products slip through, but I did notice on your pic that the Q4 pipe you have is a one piece muffler/midpipe type. The

Q4 Ti I bought for my '06 YZ450 is two pieces; midpipe slips into the muffler.

The two piece system sounds a little better. When I first shopped around I though that 2 pieces would be more hassle.. but now that I look back at things, thats what I should have bought. At least if your out of warranty it gives you the option to replace one half instead of the whole pipe.

Oh, quit whining and be glad you don't live in Nova Scotia. Besides, Californians treat Canadians OK, it's those guys from Arizona we don't like. :worthy:

JK! :worthy:

But seriously, see what happens when you give a reputable company the chance to step up?

Good customer service is hard to come by these days, glad FMF is stepping up. They answered there phone first ring, dealt with me 1/1 immediately.. thats rare to come by.