yz426 noob questions

12 replies to this topic
  • offroad99

Posted November 04, 2007 - 03:24 PM

I just bought a 2000 and I was wondering what is the best air filter and oil filter. I think I am going to get the scotts oil filter, what is the best way to clean it? I need to repack the exhaust also. It is a big gun full system, are there instructions on how to repack it? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2007 - 05:17 PM

It's the oil that filters, not the foam. Any good foam element oiled with Maxima FFT is as good as you can do.

On cleaning the Scotts:

http://www.thumperta...440#post5391440

• 426 NOOB

Posted November 04, 2007 - 08:11 PM

I run a uni filter and have never been happier. Packing an exhaust is no big deal, just pick up a high quality packing

• offroad99

Posted November 05, 2007 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the info.

• offroad99

Posted November 05, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Is there instructions that come with the packing? I searched this site and someone said you have to decide on how much fiberglass to roll up and put in. I have never repacked exhaust. Do you think I can do it without experience? I also bought the 2 piece endcap with the spark arrestor. Im just trying to find a way to make it quieter without much work.

• mudhog426

Posted November 05, 2007 - 11:00 PM

Most muffler packing comes with instructions and it's really not that complicated. Be sure to clean the inner perforated tube so that you open up all the holes. This will allow the exhaust gases to flow into the packing rather than being funnelled straight out the end. Remember to use a good silicone sealant when you reassemble the cannister also. You will be pleased at the sound reduction fresh packing provides as well as improved performance. I'd also inspect and regrease all the bearings while you're at it.
Congrats on the new ride, I love my 02':thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • offroad99

Posted November 12, 2007 - 06:06 AM

I took my silencer apart and there is nothing in there. its just an empty can with an end cap. I dont have any metal core or anything. I think i now have to buy a race core or a quiet core, the race core is way cheaper than the quiet core. Will the race core make my bike any quieter. This has turned out to be a bigger project than i thought.

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2007 - 08:38 AM

There should be a perforated steel tube running the length of the silencer inside it. If that's not there, you need a complete new muffler.

• offroad99

Posted November 12, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Can I just get a new quiet core or a new race core? Like this one?

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=170_171&products_id=568

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hmm, a replacement core. :thumbsup: That's something you don't see much. It looks like that may work.

• offroad99

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:56 AM

I think I might try it.

• ninthrazor

Posted November 13, 2007 - 04:26 PM

I have a 2000 426 and I have talked witha bunch of people and tech's about this bike. The common, hands-down consensus is that use the stock yamaha oil filter and replace it every oil change. the re-usable filters do not filter as well, since they are built to last a great length of time. Just thought i would put some two-cents in on that. Hope it helps a little bit.

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2007 - 04:56 PM

I have a 2000 426 and I have talked witha bunch of people and tech's about this bike. The common, hands-down consensus is that use the stock yamaha oil filter and replace it every oil change. the re-usable filters do not filter as well, since they are built to last a great length of time. Just thought i would put some two-cents in on that. Hope it helps a little bit.

I disagree. The Scotts filter is a better choice. Here's my 2 cents:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.