Coolant dripping

5 replies to this topic
  • stroker101

Posted November 04, 2007 - 03:06 PM

i have an 08 YZ450F with maybe 4 hrs on it. i have installed a hydrualic clutch, CV4 radiator hoses and 51T rear sprocket, DID chain and a custom made mud guard to keep mud off the front of the mtr.
my concern is after every ride, there is coolant present in the overflow tube. the radiator level isn't drastically low but i'm still concerned. i looked at my friends bike (same yr and make) and his doesn't have coolant in the tube.
is there anything i could look at for potential problems? defective cap? mud guard? (this came off my 06 before i sold it, no issue's with the 06)

• Skeeter

Posted November 04, 2007 - 03:14 PM

First thing is you can over fill, it should be about 3/4 of an inch bellow the cap. Second if your running it to lean or idleing the bike to long without being mobile, it will run hot. Hope this helps...

• Jaycycle

Posted November 04, 2007 - 03:15 PM

So it pisses out coolant while riding? Not just idling?

My bike tends to overheat easier then others. I will be at the gate waiting and start the bike... after idling 2 or 3 minutes it starts to drip coolant. I changed the coolant thinking its bad and it still does it. Not sure whats up but I don't let it bother me to much. I just try not to let it stay idle for to long. Could also very easily be the coolant I'm using.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CV4

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:52 AM

I will be at the gate waiting and start the bike... after idling 2 or 3 minutes it starts to drip coolant.

If the bike was already warmed up before you got to the gates then that is most likely your problem. Idling a warm thumper much more than a minute will cause it to puke a little coolant.

• 426 NOOB

Posted November 06, 2007 - 03:27 PM

As others said dont let the bike idle for more than a few minutes. I put engine ice coolant in my 426 and it now doesnt overheat, but the coolant will only do so much when idling.

• 2grimjim

Posted November 06, 2007 - 05:58 PM

i have an 08 YZ450F with maybe 4 hrs on it. i have installed a hydrualic clutch, CV4 radiator hoses and 51T rear sprocket, DID chain and a custom made mud guard to keep mud off the front of the mtr.
my concern is after every ride, there is coolant present in the overflow tube. the radiator level isn't drastically low but i'm still concerned. i looked at my friends bike (same yr and make) and his doesn't have coolant in the tube.
is there anything i could look at for potential problems? defective cap? mud guard? (this came off my 06 before i sold it, no issue's with the 06)

Check inside the radiator neck where the rubber gasket on the cap seats against the radiator. If you have any small scratches on the sealing surface or any small pieces of debris/sand/dirt under the rubber gasket it might be the source of the leak.

If the inside of the radiator neck has any small scratches/nicks you can fix it with some scotch-brite or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.