Starting the bike in gear

10 replies to this topic
  • oneqikz06

Posted November 04, 2007 - 10:51 AM

How do I bypass the neutral safety switch so I can start my bike in gear and dont have to be in neutral all the time? I know I need to connect a couple of wires together, but where and what colors? I have no wires going to my clutch lever on my handlebars as these were removed B4 I bought the bike along with all the other lights, speedometer and ignition switch ( Bike was only used for dirt) So now I have the unused wires tied up behind the front number plate. Bikes a 04 650L

• bosshog

Posted November 04, 2007 - 11:08 AM

The wires that previously went to the clutch lever, they ran a switch that let you start in gear as long as the cluch was in right? Would it not be easier to hook that up again to allow you to start in gear again?

• oneqikz06

Posted November 04, 2007 - 12:34 PM

bosshog, I dont know what the function was with the wires going to the clutch lever as i bought the bike with no wires connected. Are you saying that if the wires were connected that the bike would start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

• bosshog

Posted November 04, 2007 - 01:31 PM

Or it may just be easier to ground the wires out to bypass it. I don't own an L so hopefully one of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in soon and tell us which wires exactly they are.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:16 PM

bosshog, I dont know what the function was with the wires going to the clutch lever as i bought the bike with no wires connected. Are you saying that if the wires were connected that the bike would start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

Yes that's correct. People bypass it to be able to crank the motor in gear clutch out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyin vee

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:35 PM

sounds like a prior owner might have put on an after market clutch perch without the electrical hookups for the bypass.

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:45 PM

yes i f you can find where the wires were cut at(that went to the clutch lever) and connect them (to ground)it bypasses all the safeties.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:47 PM

If you locate the 2 waires that went to the clutch lever switch, you connect both (yes both) of them to ground to bypass all the safeties.

Dave

• oneqikz06

Posted November 05, 2007 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the replies, It has a stock clutch perch with the electrical hookups, I just need to figure out what wires to hookup. Previous owner did alot of cutting, snipping and taping. I really need a wiring schematic for this bike. Anyone know where a can get a diagram for this bike without buying a service manual?

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:10 PM

i beleive xrl dave posted a wiring diag. here once. actually im sure of it. do a search in this thread and it will come up.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 06, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Just the safeties

http://www.4strokes....es/safeties.gif

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.