Frame Powder Coat...VIN # question

5 replies to this topic
  • jaredc28

Posted November 04, 2007 - 04:40 AM

I have stripped the bike and will be sand blasting and powder coating the frame soon. Question: will the powder coat cover the VIN # and is this a huge problem, i.e. for registering, inspection, licensing, future selling???

Also, should i remove the factory frame "sticker" that has all the vital info, has anyone dealt with this issue with some insight?

thnx

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted November 04, 2007 - 05:33 AM

I have stripped the bike and will be sand blasting and powder coating the frame soon. Question: will the powder coat cover the VIN # and is this a huge problem, i.e. for registering, inspection, licensing, future selling???

Also, should i remove the factory frame "sticker" that has all the vital info, has anyone dealt with this issue with some insight?

thnx

You need to keep the VIN where it can be easily read. It is a huge thing when it comes to registering, inspection, and selling the bike. It's good business to keep it in it's original state. The reason I say that is 1. when you go to register/plate it, the VIN should be a mandatory item of inspection for the state agency that handles that; 2. if you are stopped by law enforcement, especially if it's not plated, then the VIN should be checked as a matter of common sense on the cop's part and; 3. when you are buying a bike, the VIN should be one of the most important items that a buyer should be checking on and they should not lay out cash money until they have verified the VIN on the bike. Due to the number of bikes stolen each year, you really don't want to run the risk to be on the side of the road for 30 minutes while everything is verified. On top of that, VIN tampering (and the law doesn't make allowances for honest reasons) tends to be rated as a felony in a lot of places and law enforcement tends to take a very dim view of such.

• reciprocity

Posted November 04, 2007 - 06:04 AM

I to a lot of powdercoating,

The easiest solution for the sticker and the vin is to simply cover both with masking tape when the paint media is applied

When it comes out of the oven just peel away any leftover tape and you'll have a clear area.

That being said,

If the coating is done properly, the Stamped vin #'s won't be concealed in any way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Whiteman

Posted November 04, 2007 - 02:43 PM

In most states it is a felony to alter or remove a vin#. I would have them cover the vin and leave it as is. It is also a felony to remove the sticker but no one is really concerned with it as long as the vin number has not been tampered with. So I would leave it alone, this doesn't make a difference if it is a race bike or off road bike either. The only frames with out Vin numbers are factory race frames which are suppose to be destroyed when they are done with them. Another one is a custom frame but it will be assigned a vin prior to being registered.

• porterdog

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:20 PM

If the coating is done properly, the Stamped vin #'s won't be concealed in any way.

+1.

Even if it were, you could sand the area and have a colored VIN :worthy:

• asf

Posted November 07, 2007 - 10:51 AM

I taped mine, coated it, then took the tape off and re-coated with a clear coat.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.