will a heavier flywheel do this?

8 replies to this topic
  • KAS

Posted November 03, 2007 - 09:06 PM

Its common knowledge a heavier FW will help with stalling, smooth power, etc.

But will it cure this?

If you're coming out of a tight turn in 2nd gear, roll on the throttle.....that throbbing "chug-chug-chug-chug" feel. Will a flywheel help smooth that out?

• duzz10

Posted November 03, 2007 - 09:16 PM

I was having the same problem. You need to use the clutch or catch the next lower gear.

• John407

Posted November 03, 2007 - 11:09 PM

I have a 10oz weight on my '03 and I've never felt the individual power pulses or chugging like you mention. Trouble is it's been over 4 years since I put the wieght on so I can't remember what it was like without the wieght.

• rexbond007

Posted November 04, 2007 - 06:48 AM

i found i can lug my bike more with the weight, meaning go slower and crank on the throttle with out stalling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2grimjim

Posted November 04, 2007 - 08:56 AM

I think it means you need to downshift, or get rid of the 18 tooth countershaft sprocket.

• John407

Posted November 04, 2007 - 12:14 PM

I think it means you need to downshift, or get rid of the 18 tooth countershaft sprocket.

:worthy: :worthy:

• KAS

Posted November 04, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Always love the helpful insight from the peanut gallery.

Seriously though, I'm not lugging the motor down so low its on the verge of flaming out.

Its just that off the bottom, there is a very pronounced chug-a-chug feel to a 450.

• grunkthump

Posted November 04, 2007 - 12:21 PM

NO chug feel on my 07'!! And that is WITH the 9oz. GYTR fww and 51T sprocket....just SMOOOOTH steady stream of AWESOME power!!

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2007 - 04:45 PM

yes a FW will help get rid of this

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.