backfires/shoots flAMES

9 replies to this topic
  • heineken4menotu

Posted November 03, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Hey whats up? I have a 98 yz400f and ever time i hit the gas then let off it backfires and shoots flames. Do you have any idea?:worthy: It also bogs when throttle is hit very fast, but not when you roll on the power

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2007 - 07:46 PM

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

• taware

Posted November 04, 2007 - 09:04 AM

What a great way to hold off would be passers. As long as you hole shot you should have the finish locked up.

• heineken4menotu

Posted November 04, 2007 - 11:49 AM

So these issues are due to the carburetor?

• 07thommi

Posted November 04, 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have a buddy who has a WR450, if you whick the throttle when the bike is cold it will shoot a 1'-2' flame. :worthy: After it is warmed up, no problems. Only mod is a FMF slipon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heineken4menotu

Posted November 04, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I just checked the idle set screw and it's adjusted all the way in just so the bike will idle. Is it becuase its jetted wrong?

• KJ790

Posted November 04, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yes, your jetting is wrong. From what you have said so far, it sounds like your pilot circuit is too lean. You need to turn the fuel screw out. If you get the fuel screw out 2.5-3 turns and it still has this problem then you need to put a larger pilot jet in.

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2007 - 04:59 PM

So these issues are due to the carburetor?

Or an air leak in the exhaust, like I said.

• todds924

Posted November 04, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I just checked the idle set screw and it's adjusted all the way in just so the bike will idle. Is it becuase its jetted wrong?

Its turned all the way in to compensate for your clogged PILOT jet!

• heineken4menotu

Posted November 05, 2007 - 03:29 AM

I don't think i have an exhaust leak cuz i have a dr. d header and silencer. Unless it uses a clamp but i'm pretty sure it doesn't

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.