650L questions

14 replies to this topic
  • Norge

Posted November 03, 2007 - 06:11 PM

1. Will a SRC fork brace from a XR400 fit a 650L?

2. Anyone want to trade a new seat for a XR650L (new foam shaved 1 inch and new black seat cover) for a tall or stock foam seat with cover?

3. Any oil coolers for sale that will work for an XR 650L?

Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:12 AM

not sure about 1,2. this is a link to xr400 oil cooler install/mod.

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=22902

• Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:27 AM

yes the best ive researched is a XR400 oil cooler check with SRC they made a kit but i think theve stopped selling it not sure though.

• jaredc28

Posted November 05, 2007 - 02:53 PM

1. Will a SRC fork brace from a XR400 fit a 650L?

2. Anyone want to trade a new seat for a XR650L (new foam shaved 1 inch and new black seat cover) for a tall or stock foam seat with cover?

3. Any oil coolers for sale that will work for an XR 650L?

Thanks

Got any pics of the seat you are wanting to trade. I have a stock 93" xrl seat with foam that I need to have recovered in black...let me know...send me a pm.

• Norge

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

1" shaved and looks to be slightly tapered on the sides. Less than 2 hrs on seat.

• Rman of 237

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:09 PM

Howdy Norge, when did you get the L? I don't remember you mentioning it when we met in Cloudcroft.:worthy:

• Norge

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Hi RMAN of 237! I was high bidder on this bike from e-bay. I drove to Fresno, CA to pick it up. The owner did a great job on the mods and the bike was very clean. I plan on doing some dual sport rides with my idiot brother-in-laws next year (you met them in Cloudcroft). Trips will be to Mexico. Southern AZ (Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglass). Utah Canyonlands and Oatman AZ to Laughlin to Vegas. We want to use as many dirt roads as possible, but some highway will be needed-that's why I bought this bike since the XR-400 just does not have enought top end. We plan on 3 to 4 days of riding using motels (I'm too old and wimpy to camp anymore).

I will let you know when we go back to Cloudcroft next year. If your brother is plated then we can't get separeted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rman of 237

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:09 PM

:worthy: :worthy: :eek: Looks good! The 650 is a much, much better road bike than the 400. Much more stable at high speeds and lots of power through the gears. Did the PO do the carb mods?:worthy:

R.....

• xr650l bum

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:48 PM

Norge, looking at your seat it looks to be thicker than the normal seat. Optical illusion? Was padding added and shaved to give it the tappered affect?

• Norge

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:27 PM

I'm going by what the seller told me when I picked up the bike. He said it was new foam and seat cover shaved 1" and it appears to be tapered. With that in mind it seams to sit lower than my XR400. Maybe it would be easier to just trash this new cover and foam and have the seat base recovered with tall soft foam and cover by GUTS, than to swap it out with a fellow TTer. It just seems a shame to waste this seat and all I'm looking for is a carcass and shipping to GUTS.

• quicksilver

Posted November 14, 2007 - 07:25 AM

I'm looking to BUY a shaved seat. Need some extra cash? let me know what you have OR if anyone knows more about this issue, I'd love to hear if a 650R seat will work....

WTB: 650L seat shaved. I want to get a seat that's shaved about 1". Lousy condition? That's OK....I live in Southern AZ and plan on doing hard riding.

• truck6driver

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:17 PM

I ran a Jagg oil cooler on my old 94'. It was a bolt on kit. I don't know if they sell them anymore.

RH

• Rman of 237

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:21 PM

I'm looking to BUY a shaved seat. Need some extra cash? let me know what you have OR if anyone knows more about this issue, I'd love to hear if a 650R seat will work....

WTB: 650L seat shaved. I want to get a seat that's shaved about 1". Lousy condition? That's OK....I live in Southern AZ and plan on doing hard riding.

OK, this is what I did on my 400. I removed the seat cover by pulling the staples. Using my sister in laws electric knife(so much for Thanksgiving Turkey:busted:)I started carving. I took about 1-3/4 in off and still had foam to play with. I'll admit that reataching the cover was beyond me with a spring loaded staple gun so I took it to the local apolstry shop and he cut it down even more then added an inch of low density foam to keep the original shape. Now the seat "squishes" down(about 2 in.) well below the original shape yet it still looks stock. $50.00 well spent if you ask me.:thumbsup:
PS.. It's still soft enough so I'm not "Monkey Butted" yet.:ride:

• Norge

Posted November 14, 2007 - 07:18 PM

See pic page 1. Will be in ($75) Tempe, AZ 12/26 - 12/30. Not allowed to post prices in this ($75) forum. Like new, soft foam new cover.

• quicksilver

Posted November 15, 2007 - 04:22 AM

...Just can't miss that avatar. Thanks norge.

Shaving the original is always an option but if I can get a used one; I think I better go for it. There once was a "how to" posted somewhere on shaving foam and the techniques varied quite a bit. The best (I was told) was to use a professional upholsterer's tool, which I think was a hot wire-thingy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.