My first tire question.

6 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted November 03, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I have a 2000 xr650r tarded with 17" wheels but may be doing some dual sporting soon.
I still have the dirt rims with me and will mount the DS tires on them and keep the 17 "rism with the pilot powers i have.

What would be a good tire for new england dual sporting ?? a good all arounder... figure riding on highway/road and also dirt. I need a good all aroudner nothing too specific (mud only, rock only etc).

I did a search but wow so much info.

I really dont want to spend too much money for anything top much i am after all a beginner in the dirt. the roads woudl be fire roads/ snowmobile trails. mud dirt some sand and rocks..... definitel need knobbies of some sort

• dylanr

Posted November 03, 2007 - 06:09 PM

cheng shin, they seem to be more low profile than others, but for $21 for an 18 inch you cant beat it, i got about 3000 miles out of mine

• wheelnut46

Posted November 04, 2007 - 12:59 PM

I have a 2000 xr650r tarded with 17" wheels but may be doing some dual sporting soon.
I still have the dirt rims with me and will mount the DS tires on them and keep the 17 "rism with the pilot powers i have.

What would be a good tire for new england dual sporting ?? a good all arounder... figure riding on highway/road and also dirt. I need a good all aroudner nothing too specific (mud only, rock only etc).

I did a search but wow so much info.

I really dont want to spend too much money for anything top much i am after all a beginner in the dirt. the roads woudl be fire roads/ snowmobile trails. mud dirt some sand and rocks..... definitel need knobbies of some sort

:worthy:

First off the tire you want is the Dunlop D606. I had a Kenda 270 which is probably fine for what you want but the D606 is just as good on the road and 10x better off.
Second - every time I call you to ride you're never around but I have found a cool place to ride locally so when you're set up let me know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gearloos

Posted November 04, 2007 - 02:21 PM

cheng shin, they seem to be more low profile than others, but for $21 for an 18 inch you cant beat it, i got about 3000 miles out of mine

WOW 21$ ? I like the 3000 miles and the 21$ but.. like going to China on the cheapest coach airline for 25 hours travel.. Is it a nice ride?
After getting advise from everyone here, I think Martinfan was the one who really liked em, I went with the Pirelli MT21.
They are great onroad and hook up ok offroad. I also looked into Dunlop D606, D907, Mefo, and (my favorite but scared me from what I read about ON road) Interco's teraflex II. You can look up the threads I started as well as others on tire info easy enough..

• black in RI

Posted November 04, 2007 - 02:57 PM

wheel nut. i just got the bike back from PA about 4 weeks ago.
10 days ago i got orthroscopic on my knee for a tron meniscus..a nd every weekend i've been campingh hiking..
saw on Craigslist that there is an area for legal riding..
lets talk..
thanks for the response folks.

• Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:43 AM

606 or MT21 are talked about ALOT on here. I have 606s on mine and they are very good dirt tires that are still DOT.

• absynth01

Posted November 05, 2007 - 03:00 PM

MT-21's have not failed me yet. Seem to be the hardest tire I can find. I had terrible problems with Cheng-shi*t. Don't use them on big power machines. I rip those knobs out on my R's, and won'teven cater to cheng shin any more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.