Gps mounting and walkie talkie earpieces

18 replies to this topic
  • racemile

Posted March 25, 2002 - 03:47 PM

Has anyone played around with mounting a GPS, and what kind of results did you get. Also, has anyone tried using walkie talkies with a voice activated earpiece to talk to the back of the pack while your mounted up? Just curious. Thanks in advance for your response.

• Scuba_Steve

Posted March 25, 2002 - 06:52 PM

Racemile,

I bought a Garmin 12 GPS and found a place called RAM that makes pretty cool mounting systems for GPS units, as well as for other things like lights and cameras. What I liked is the mounts are custom-made for each particular model instead of "universal" systems that usually don't work very well. You can find information at www.ram-mount.com, there is a link there to find local dealers.

The mount I purchased was pretty easy to install, I'd be glad to e-mail you a pic so you can see before you buy.

One thing to remember - your battery-powered GPS doesn't like vibration! If the batteries break contact, the unit shuts off and over time you will find tiny black arc marks on the contacts. Pretty soon your unit stops working. Try this trick: apply dielectric grease to the GPS and battery terminals and tape the batteries together lengthwise so they can't separate. A hard knock may still shut your GPS off, but at least you won't do any damage. Also, the RAM mount can be adjusted to reduce the vibration to the GPS.

Don't know if you needed this much information, but hopefully someone else can take advantage of my mistakes!

By the way, I don't know a thing about walkie talkies!

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted March 25, 2002 - 06:59 PM

Try cycoactive.com they sell tons of GPS units and mounts, and have some type of hardening process they do to the GPS circuit board to stop vibration from killing the unit. I bought a mount and numerous other items and they are cool dudes.

• Scuba_Steve

Posted March 25, 2002 - 07:05 PM

Team Oatmeal got it! I forgot to let you know about Cycoactive, the do a good job of explaining the "hardening" process.

Now, I have a question. I have a Garmin 12 and I wanted to hard wire it to my '02 WR. The lighting curcuit is 12VAC, and the Garmin wants 6VDC. The nice folks at Baja Designs told me how to do it by building a black box, but I'm electronically retarded. Has anyone here hard wired their GPS to their bike's electrical system?

• Merfman

Posted March 26, 2002 - 05:54 AM

As a second option, ALoop will also do the "hardening" and I think they charge something like $44.

As far as the WT's, I bought a helmet mounted system last year. The voice-activated switch doesn't work due to the ambient noise of the bike. My unit came with a push-to-talk button that I mounted to the bike. I'll probably mount it on my helmet in the future. Too much stuff on the left side (hot start, ICO computer, kill switch and PTT buttom) and it's getting crowded.

I mounted the speakers under my helmet earpieces and you can't even tell there there. (Arai VX Pro) The mike just mounted to the chin piece.

Merf

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 26, 2002 - 11:57 AM

This past Sunday, we tried out a pair of FRS radios for the first time. The model we are using is the NADY MRC-11, specially designed for motorcycle communication. (I have tried "regular" FRS radios and radio frequency interference (RFI) made them unuseable on the bike.) It comes with a helmet headset and a remot PTT switch. I got a pair of them online for about $160. There are a lot of online merchants selling these units right now and you may be able to find them for less than what I paid.

They worked great! We zip-tied the radios to our chest protectors and strapped the PTT switch to the handlebars. A minor modification to our helmets was all it took to mount the headset. At low speeds, sound was crystal-clear, and zero RFI. At higher speeds and throttle it became a bit difficult to hear (wind + non-RFI engine noise) but communication was still possible. We found that we could communicate as we approached a turn/obstacle and decide on our course as we rode and continue without needing to stop. Also, if someone stalled their bike or missed a turn, a quick radio call and the leader knew what was happening--no turning around to look for stragglers.

The downside? VOX was unuseable. In high sensitivity mode, the engine noise constantly triggered transmissions. In low sensitivity mode, it required talking/yelling to activate, but engine noise would keep the mic keyed indefinitely. Riding a WR with VOX mode is about impossible, IMO. However, the handlebar-mounted PTT switch was easy to use, so I don't think the VOX problem will be an issue.

The placement of the helmet speaker was far enough away from the ear to allow wind noise to be a problem. The solution to the wind/engine noise issue, I hope, will be to modify the headset to use an earbud. I will be working on that this week.

Merfman, I know what you mean. My handlebar's getting crowded, too. I made a "dashboard" last night that mounts between the rear handlebar pinch bolts to hold a bunch of my dual sport switches and indicator lights. Hopefully, this will free up some room near my left thumb for the PTT switch.

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted March 26, 2002 - 03:19 PM

Hey racemile,
The best GPS info site on the Web is at
http://joe.mehaffey.com/
I can agree with Scuba Steve about the Garmin battery vibration problem. I run an external power cable to get around the shut off problems.
The cables can be found at a company called
Blue Hills Innovations and there is a link for then at the site listed above. The price of cables from Garmin is way too much.
I would like to see the photos of Scuba Steve's GPS rig. Please post the photos on TT if you can or e-mail to me at
gpsdualsport@earthlink.net

• Scuba_Steve

Posted April 02, 2002 - 07:31 PM

After riding with my Garmin 12 for about 500 miles, the vibration has killed it. The GPS will power up, but it dies as soon as the bike is started. I plan on getting a new GPS (same model) and I would like to know how to "harden" it from vibration.

I read about a company who does this (Aloop?), does anyone have any information on how to contact them?

• Tim_in_WA

Posted April 02, 2002 - 08:37 PM

Cycoactive: http://www.cycoactive.com/

Aloop: http://www.aloop.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • r6roadracer

Posted April 02, 2002 - 11:05 PM

I recently purchase a Garmin Etrex Legend from Cycoactive with the RAM mount and it has been working great. I placed small amounts of silicone behind the battery terminals to keep them tighter. This was done on advice from Cycoactive. My unit has not shut off once while riding. It has been great having it, riding in the jersey pine barrens everything looks the same, so it is real easy to get lost real fast. I even used it this past weekend to mark a waypoint where I hid my broken bike in the woods. :)

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted April 03, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Dessert topping AND a floor wax?

How about a radio AND a GPS receiver? Check out the latest from Garmin:

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino

I really like the "peer to peer positioning" feature. Now if they could only get the range to about 50 miles... :)

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted April 03, 2002 - 07:44 PM

The Gamin Radio GPS combo unit looks pretty good. This is ideal for large groups. The lead guy has one radio and the sweep rider has the other. The lead knows where sweep is and the back of the pack can find out how slow they really are.

• Canuck

Posted April 04, 2002 - 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
This past Sunday, we tried out a pair of FRS radios for the first time. The model we are using is the NADY MRC-11, specially designed for motorcycle communication. (I have tried "regular" FRS radios and radio frequency interference (RFI) made them unuseable on the bike.) It comes with a helmet headset and a remot PTT switch. I got a pair of them online for about $160. There are a lot of online merchants selling these units right now and you may be able to find them for less than what I paid.

They worked great! We zip-tied the radios to our chest protectors and strapped the PTT switch to the handlebars. A minor modification to our helmets was all it took to mount the headset. At low speeds, sound was crystal-clear, and zero RFI. At higher speeds and throttle it became a bit difficult to hear (wind + non-RFI engine noise) but communication was still possible. We found that we could communicate as we approached a turn/obstacle and decide on our course as we rode and continue without needing to stop. Also, if someone stalled their bike or missed a turn, a quick radio call and the leader knew what was happening--no turning around to look for stragglers.

The downside? VOX was unuseable. In high sensitivity mode, the engine noise constantly triggered transmissions. In low sensitivity mode, it required talking/yelling to activate, but engine noise would keep the mic keyed indefinitely. Riding a WR with VOX mode is about impossible, IMO. However, the handlebar-mounted PTT switch was easy to use, so I don't think the VOX problem will be an issue.

The placement of the helmet speaker was far enough away from the ear to allow wind noise to be a problem. The solution to the wind/engine noise issue, I hope, will be to modify the headset to use an earbud. I will be working on that this week.

Merfman, I know what you mean. My handlebar's getting crowded, too. I made a "dashboard" last night that mounts between the rear handlebar pinch bolts to hold a bunch of my dual sport switches and indicator lights. Hopefully, this will free up some room near my left thumb for the PTT switch.

Rich: Can you post some pics of your NADY radio/GPS dash set up? Riding with a big group makes it difficult to keep track of everybody especially when there is a fork in the trail. That set up sounds sweet! Keep us updated on your mods. & how well they work for you!

Cheers.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 19, 2002 - 06:13 PM

...and I just saw the post from Canuck.

Here's a picture of the first iteration of my buddy's setup (not too dissimilar from mine):

Posted Image

and a picture of his headset in his helmet:

Posted Image

I have since found 2-way radio pouches at Sport Authority that I have zip-tied to the chest protector. Also, a 5x7 waterproof bag fits over the radio and keeps it pretty dry. I'm finding that the weak spots in the whole system are the wires leading to the headset. I've had to repair them several times. But I crash a lot. :)

• Fastgregg

Posted August 20, 2002 - 02:05 PM

Unfortuately, A loop is no longer in the GPS business. Cycoactive is a good source who knows dirtbikes and is more than willing to help. They just hardened my GarminIII+ and sent a Ram mount and power cable. Now I just gotta figure out how to use it. Has anybody done the cache thing? Sounds like fun.

• rpyfz450

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:51 AM

VOX was unuseable. In high sensitivity mode, the engine noise constantly triggered transmissions. In low sensitivity mode, it required talking/yelling to activate, but engine noise would keep the mic keyed indefinitely.

I saw on Snowmobile Magazine Television where they tested some VOX microphones that were on a collar around your neck. They pick up the sounds through direct contact with your adam's apple. The reviewers said they worked very well and picked up virtually no background noise. I can't imagine any other microphones working better.

• Ripmeister

Posted February 15, 2006 - 01:59 PM

Here's a new angle - is there any device that will link an FRS to an IPOD or other MP3 player? When sombody talks it overrides the music . . .

I'm not savvy about this type of stuff at all - so please forgive if it's a stupid question. I would be very nice though.

• slief

Posted February 15, 2006 - 02:06 PM

This is a great post! I have been looking for a good GPS but I dont know the first thing about them when it comes to a dirt bike.
So what GPS do you guys recommend? I have been looking for a while but there are so many to choose from that it is almost discouraging. I would love to come up with one that could be mounted in the pro taper bar clamp pad on my 250F but that may no be practical or possible. Any suggestions for what might work and or what ever is the best solution?

Most of my riding is in the desert just tooling around with friends. No racing or anything like that.

• rpyfz450

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Garmin makes an optional clamp for their Etrex series that fit fat bars $11.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.